Talk

Advanced search

Did you get one of those National Child Measurement Programme letters and what did it say?

(25 Posts)
PollyParanoia Tue 28-Jul-09 14:09:51

My ds is in reception and was evidently measured as part of the National Child Measurement Programme. We got a letter saying he's in the healthy range etc but I thought it was interesting that rather than giving you a centile based on their weight (like those charts in the red book), you get a centile based on their Body Mass Index which seems far more accurate.
He's on the 28th centile which surprised me as I find it hard to believe that over a quarter of kids are skinnier than him (he's all bones and ribs). I found it rather reassuring since I'm always fretting about feeding him up. If you got a letter, were you surprised/reassured/shocked by what it said?

BoffinMum Tue 28-Jul-09 21:17:14

I was surprised that it said at the top of the letter "Helping you take action" or some such, when it said DS was in the normal range and 35 centile with a lowish BMI, therefore needing no action. It apparently assumes most kids are going to be overweight, demonstrating that they don't understand the basis of their own statistics.

FAQtothefuture Tue 28-Jul-09 21:27:19

DS2 just finished reception - I just got the same letter from the school with his height and weight on it as I got with DS1 3yrs ago.........- with a bit scribbled in with pen saying he was all in proportion.

petelly Tue 28-Jul-09 21:36:11

I was surprised - dd is in the 87th centile. 2 lbs more and she's be 'officially' overweight(91st centile and higher I think).

Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Everyone who I mention it to is also surprised because she doesn't look overweight but then research shows that parents don't recognise if their own children are overweight. The stats are also based on 1991 data so maybe we're just used to larger children now??

bodiddly Tue 28-Jul-09 21:39:39

slight hijack .. does anyone know where i can check ds' bmi? He is 4, 109cm and 2st 10lbs

IdrisTheDragon Tue 28-Jul-09 21:40:44

There are children's bmi calculators - I'll see if I can find one.

IdrisTheDragon Tue 28-Jul-09 21:41:32

Here's one

IdrisTheDragon Tue 28-Jul-09 21:42:17

Can't remember what DS's letter said but he is fine basically.

FAQtothefuture Tue 28-Jul-09 21:50:09

hmm - that link reckons that DS2 is 3rd centile for his BMI - sorry but no way in hell is that right - unless all his shorter, skinnier school pals are below the charts???

And why didn't he have one of these letters???

bodiddly Tue 28-Jul-09 22:33:15

thanks Idris. Ds is 11th centile for weight ...

Redazzy Tue 28-Jul-09 22:40:32

I posted on this when I received my letter a couple of months back. My ds was 1 lb overweight. I was seriously upset until I got a bit of MN and RL perspective! Anyone I mentioned it to in RL was aghast. DS does not remotely look overweight. I know parents are blind to their ds as being anything other than gorgeous but I had loads of honest outside views. I can't explain the statistics except that when I measured and weighed him again after I got the letter, he had grown a couple of cm and lost a pound or two which put him into the normal range (but in the high percentiles).

bruffin Tue 28-Jul-09 23:23:51

DD 11 is yr6 and was on 50th centile for her BMI. She is tall and skinny but curvy and well into puberty. Thankfully never had to worry about her weight, although she has tended to be on the thinner side, so the letter was reassuring.

bumpybecky Tue 28-Jul-09 23:29:49

dd1 is in year 6 and according to their letter she's on the 2nd centile for weight (can't remember about height). She now thinks she should only eat pork pies, chips and chocolate grin

I knew she was skinny, it's so difficult to get trousers that stay up!

PollyParanoia Wed 29-Jul-09 08:14:33

But the thing is the "shorter, skinnier" wouldn't make any difference as it's bmi and so it adjusts for height. That's what I thought was interesting, that it could make a comparison on bmi rather than just weight or just height.
I also wondered whether we have different responses according to the genders of our children. If a son is "strapping" ie above 75th, do you think you're more likely to be pleased than if it's a dd. My dd2 is a minute, 2nd centile for weight, and I wonder whether I'm less worried about it because she's a girl...

geekgirl Wed 29-Jul-09 08:27:03

ds is at the very top of the healthy range hmm
he is very muscular and has a mini six-pack, and you can see his ribs on his back... there is no excess fat on him, yet if he'd had an extra weetabix that day and weighed 100g more, I would have had a letter telling me he's overweighthmm.

Actually, I had the school nurse visit me yesterday because I'd got myself quite concerned about dd1 (just turned 10) who does fall into the overweight category and has done for years. The nurse took one look at her and said she looked absolutely fine and to stop worrying. She said the weighing in school is done to get an overall picture of the population, and isn't focused on the individual, and that it's causing huge stress and anxiety amongst parents. Apparently the letters are due to be reworded...

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 08:33:09

I'm sorry - but there's absolutely NO WAY that DS2 is only on the 2nd centile. You telling me that he's on the bottom end of healthy?

2nd centile - no way if he's 2nd centile now (and healthy) - then if he were to work his way up to 50th centile - he would be overweight without a doubt.

He's very stocky, and because of the amount of food he eats I do have to keep and eye on him.

Sorry I don't trust that BMI calculator with a barge pole. Especially given the OP is saying that her DS in reception is all bones and ribs and apparently on the 28ths centile, while my fairly stocky DS2 who was also measured in reception and whose calculations I've used is only on the 2nd?

It's nothing to do with sex for me - it's common sense. I dread to think how "big" (outways, not upwards) DS2 would be if he were around the 50th centile for his BMI.

Thank goodness my DS's schools don't appear to be sending these letters yet. Just a simple "height is X" "weight is Z" (and yes all in proportion).

bruffin Wed 29-Jul-09 09:21:46

It does make quite a bit of difference if you are using old measurements.

I put dd's measurements as if they were taken today and her centile went down from 50 to 43 centile and that was only 3 months difference

mimsum Wed 29-Jul-09 10:45:02

oh lord I've just done ds2's and he's on the 1st centile shock

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 11:03:24

bruffin - I adjusted DS2's birthdate to take account of the difference in time. Even now by my measurement he's still apparently only on the 2nd centile.

Well I'm not fattening him up any more grin

dee0468 Wed 29-Jul-09 12:42:29

Mr dd was on 78th centile. i thought she was quite thin. Only a couple more pouds and she would be overweight. Crazy.

ShellingPeas Wed 29-Jul-09 16:37:17

My DS has come up on the 0th centile, seriously underweight! Yes he is thin, but he eats like a horse, and he's also got very fine bone structure, and no muscles at all - basically he is your 9 stone weakling in the making!

My DD who is much more robust came up on the 6th centile.

Not convinced at all about how accurate this is as both my DCs are healthy and are rarely ill.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 29-Jul-09 16:39:10

I only found the calculator grin <inserts disclaimer into own post>

BoffinMum Thu 30-Jul-09 13:42:21

I wonder how this data compares to that used by the Wii Fit? Slim DS2 who is near 50th centile is apparently overweight on that. hmm

FAQtothefuture Thu 30-Jul-09 13:44:06

lol @ Idris disclaimer grin

bruffin Thu 30-Jul-09 14:04:17

The wii fit has adult settings for BMI which are different to childrens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now