Talk

Advanced search

Primary School Admissions

(11 Posts)
mandy1968 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:50:18

Hi All,
Does anyone know whether LEA's have a policy/proceedure for checking the home address of children applying for primary places.

sfxmum Tue 28-Jul-09 11:51:03

home visits are common

mandy1968 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:53:51

do you know whether addresses are routinely checked at the application stage?

LIZS Tue 28-Jul-09 11:54:15

You may be expected to provide proof of residence ie council tax bill in yur name. Some increasingly do such checks nearer the admission date and home visits to ensure you/child are living there.

mandy1968 Tue 28-Jul-09 12:02:54

thanks LIZS/sfxmum

mandy1968 Tue 28-Jul-09 12:06:22

i now of a child who is going to a school illegally what should i do.

LIZS Tue 28-Jul-09 12:08:50

do you mean you have been allocated a place at a school based on incorrect information and that another child who fulfilled the criteria has been denied that place ?

LIZS Tue 28-Jul-09 12:11:45

sorry reread your post , you mean you know of a child who has a place they should n't have got ? Contact lea if you are sure they would n't have qualified udner other criteria such as SEN or sibling which could move them up in priority above residence.

lucykate Tue 28-Jul-09 12:27:09

we moved house just before dd started school and did have to provide address evidence to the new lea. we didn't this year for ds's application, i guess as we already have one child in the school system and address is already established. for both, there was a home visit during the first two weeks of term by their class teacher and ta.

1dilemma Tue 28-Jul-09 12:46:10

depends on school and area we were not checked for our first child

call LEA and tell them about this child you know of

TEJQ Wed 29-Jul-09 13:57:35

If they move AFTER they have applied for and allocated a place I'm not sure you have any grounds for complaint.

You can move and leave the child at the same school if you want, it isn't compulsory to move them.

The crucial bit is were they fulfilling the criteria at the time they applied and at the time the place was offered - if they then moved, well there's not alot you can do about that.

In my LA you have to show a recent (within three months) utility bill at the point you accept the place offered at the school (usually April/May) but not at point of application the pervious autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now