Talk

Advanced search

Can't spell,

(8 Posts)
katiestar Sun 26-Jul-09 17:37:55

I have a DD who has just turned 8 and who is the most appalling speller !She can't speel many of the high frequency words for example 'gowing' and 'thay' .When I ask her to spell go and then sy how do you thing going is spelled ,then she thinks about it and gets it right.
After much pleading with the teacher, I have managed to get her moved down a spellings group (some weeks she was getting 0 of 15) she can at least learn the words but frequently forgets them within days .Her spellings are generally phonetically plausible when they are short words, but longer words she doesn't have a clue.She often can't 'hear' all the sounds in the word
her maths is fine and reading in the Y3 optional SATS she got 4C and for writing 3A.She has a good vocabulary , can punctuate and good imagination.Strangely as well she got almost full marks on the Y3 verbal reasoning paper.But I am getting seriously concerned about her spelling which is significantly worse than the YR1s at our school.
We do practise a spelling pattern for 5 minutes every night plus some high frequency words but it is very difficult to see any progress being made
Any ideas anyone ?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 26-Jul-09 17:42:17

It's easier to break the word into half/thirds and do it this way, grammar for example is gram-mar, continent can be split into con-tin-ent and then squeezed together after.

mrz Sun 26-Jul-09 18:50:27

Spelling

maverick Mon 27-Jul-09 08:21:50

You may find the following helpful. If you scroll down there's a list of evidence-based tips:

www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/spelling.htm

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 19:38:20

Thankyou so much for those links both very useful
Maverick - that spelling article describes my DD perfectly.
I followed the suggestion about the cards with VC s on them and had her make up some 'nonsense words with them.She hadn't a clue how to decode them and was just making random guesses based on teh first 2 letters.
So there's the answer.An 8 yr old child labelled a'good reader' by the school and can't actually read a thing ! She has memorised a bank of words and just makes educated guesses at the rest.
I can't believe how her teacher for the last 2 years hasn't spotted this ,she gave her one to one tuition after school for a term .
I truly feel I have made more progress with her today , in one 15 minute session , showing her how to break the word down . than in months of following the teachers 'spelling improvement ideas'

bruffin Mon 27-Jul-09 22:06:58

DS is dyslexic, can read well because he was taught synthetic phonics at the right time, but can't spell at all.
Thankfully the school did most of the work but they used a scheme called Stareway to Spelling. I bought it on amazon. It's very intensive but it bought DS almost up to average, but his spelling is a long way behind the rest of him, if that makes sense
ie yr6 SATs Reading 5B writing 4c (scraped by 1 mark)
Since he started secondary he has been allowed to do all homework on pc which has improved his written work but spelling mistakes still creep in ie howl for whole because spell check recognised howl as word.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 28-Jul-09 09:20:25

OMG am in shock. This perfectly describes my 9 1/2 yo with a bit of dyslexia. She reads very well but has appalling spelling. She has just read machinery as Manchester.

I plan to do some work with her breakign down words today before thinking about putting sounds together for spelling!

Please God this is a breakthrough!

katiestar Wed 05-Aug-09 21:27:49

profiterolethief- I have been having a lot of success with DD .i am using the 'high quality phonics' publication on the standards site as a loose guide to putting together syllables and then words incorporating a particular sound and i am already seeing a huge difference.I really hope this is the breakthrough for your DD too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now