Talk

Advanced search

We won our school appeal - can the school get it overturned?

(4 Posts)
DandyLioness Tue 21-Jul-09 00:49:44

Message withdrawn

positiveattitudeonly Tue 21-Jul-09 08:26:30

My understanding is that the appeal panel decision is most definitely binding. The school can approach the LA to clarify the situation for NEXT time, so that the school are not put in this position again, but for you, it would be the panel have the final say.
If you have a letter saying you have a place, then you have that place and nobody can take it from you.
The school are probably miffed at the LA for getting it wrong, so want to make their feelings known, because due to a LA cock-up the school will have to make different arrangements etc. smile

I have been a appeal panel member and this is how I have always understood the rules we were applying. They are central government rules and not loacally changable. Well done for sticking up for your child and well done on a successful appeal. Don't fret. Relax!

IF they try to go back on decision I would stamp, stomp, shout loudly and generally become a very stroppy parent and take it to the ombudsman.

TEJQ Tue 21-Jul-09 09:38:07

We won too, our DS is now child 31 in reception - if its an authority controlled school then the decision of the panel is, and I quote, "binding on the school admission authority".

I agree with PAO, that the school is probably annoyed at the admissions dept putting them in this position and will be making sure they get it right next year.

katiestar Tue 21-Jul-09 14:00:40

No they cannot.And it isn't even a decision that the appeal panel should have had to make.If you can prove that your DC missed out on a place because of LEAs cockup then you are by law netitled to a place at that school.End of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now