Talk

Advanced search

QCA test results, I have no idea if they are good or not

(28 Posts)
NervousNutty Fri 17-Jul-09 18:27:31

Had a letter with dd2's results but no explanation as to what it means.

She is just finnishing yr 4 and got 4b in Maths, 5b in Science and 5b in English.

foofi Fri 17-Jul-09 18:29:20

Y4? Well, the government hope that all children leaving primary school will have achieved at least level 4 - so she's obviously ahead of the game.

NervousNutty Fri 17-Jul-09 18:31:30

Oh really, i thought that was SATS ?? Are QCA tests the same as sats then ?

NervousNutty Fri 17-Jul-09 18:34:15

I'm confused now, because dd1 has just had her sats results for yr6 and she got 5's for English and Science (not broken down into a,b,c because of some technical hitch), and level 4 for Maths.

So if qca's are the same as sats then that means dd2 got the same level as dd1 ??

foofi Fri 17-Jul-09 18:34:33

The QCA devises the National Curriculum and levels.

NervousNutty Fri 17-Jul-09 18:35:46

Sorry ignore me.

Dd2 got level 4a for Reading, level 4c for reading and level 3b for maths.

I have no idea what i was wittering on about before blush

Feenie Fri 17-Jul-09 18:42:15

Yes, SATs, optional SATs (QCA Tests) and the National Curriculum all use and refer to the same levelling system.

3b is average at Y4.

NervousNutty Fri 17-Jul-09 18:43:37

Thank you smile

CanterburySnails Fri 17-Jul-09 21:35:09

Apologies to the OP, but can I gatecrash this with a quick question for the helpful teachers on here smile?
My dd did not get any SATs/QCA levels on her reports but I know she sat them at school. Her only target for literacy was to use speech marks correctly - from this could you estimate her likely SATs level?
Ta

janeite Fri 17-Jul-09 21:39:17

Canterbury - has she just finished Yr 6?

CanterburySnails Fri 17-Jul-09 21:45:12

Hi Janeite smile. She has just finished Yr 3 - they did optional SATS this year.

primarymum Fri 17-Jul-09 21:50:20

Using speech marks is a target I have for SOME of my children working at 3c/b but it is very hard to say from this single target what a likely level might be, for example a child might ngenerally be working at say L4 but always forget speech marks, so this would be their target!

janeite Fri 17-Jul-09 21:50:32

Well, speech marks genrally come in at around L3 but it's impossible to estimate a level based on just that one comment. What did she get in her end of KS1 tests?

janeite Fri 17-Jul-09 21:51:18

Snap!

primarymum Fri 17-Jul-09 21:51:57

Level 3b/c would be a reasonable one for the end of yr 3 ( that's the year group I teach )

CanterburySnails Fri 17-Jul-09 21:58:32

She got 3's at the end of Yr 2.
Excerpts from her report include - 'writing is varied, lively and thoughtful, ideas are worked through in interesting ways and organised effectively for the reader's enjoyment', 'uses full stops, capitals and question marks correctly and uses punctuation within the sentence', 'vocabulary choices are ofen adventurous', 'extensive vocabulary', 'strong ability to empathise shows in her fiction writing'. DD loves books, so I assume this is coming through in her writing smile. It is a lovely report - her teachers seem to really know her, which is fab. It just seems odd that her target is just one thing!

primarymum Fri 17-Jul-09 22:02:01

It might be just that one thing she needs to move onto the next level! The comments would suggest a strong level 3, perhaps 3b/a, but if she always forgets her speech marks, it will be holding her back! Anyway, I try not to give too many targets ( especially in reports, there's never enough room!) as it can be hard to concentrate on several things at once!

CanterburySnails Fri 17-Jul-09 22:19:42

Thanks very much primarymum, that sounds very reasonable. DD's report says she should use speech marks 'appropriately' - I know she does use them, but maybe not correctly all the time?
Her cousin, same year different class, got a list of targets for literacy, but maybe it just depends on the teacher?
Ta for your help smile

primarymum Sat 18-Jul-09 08:57:46

Some children do have a tendency to put speech marks round the whole sentence (including the 'said Fred' part) especially when the speech is 'wrapped around' ( so for example if writihg "I haven't seen him" he shouted, before continuing "and I don't know where he is", the speech marks would cover the whole sentence!) So it might just be this aspect of speech marks your daughter needs to practise. Whatever, she sounds an able writer!

CanterburySnails Sun 19-Jul-09 21:37:45

Thanks again for your help primarymum - it is lovely to be able to ask silly questions on here without feeling a fool smile.

Just out of interest, does your school do optional SATs and if so, do they report the levels to the parents? I wondered if it was normal not to do so, or if dd's school is unusual in this?

primarymum Sun 19-Jul-09 21:57:27

We do optional SATs in yrs 3,4 and 5 ( and the non-optional ones in 2 and 6!) but we only use the results as part of our teacher assessment which we then report to parents. In some cases, my TA might be higher than the "results" from the tests, in many the two are the same and on occasions, my assessment is lower than the test results, but then I'm a pretty hard assessor We only report the TA level to parents, rather than both.

primarymum Sun 19-Jul-09 21:58:55

Oh, and your questions are not silly, your school just needs to explain more!

CanterburySnails Sun 19-Jul-09 22:32:23

So, you do report a level to parents then (the TA one not the test one)? Is it unusual do you think for a school not to report a NC level at all? DD's school is great, just gets very vague on facts smile.

Feenie Mon 20-Jul-09 09:48:07

It's only statutory for schools to report NC levels at the end of key stages - so in Y2 you get a TA and in Y6 you get the TA and SAT results.

We do the same as primarymum and record a TA each year, drawn from lots of sources of evidence including optional SATs, much like their Y2 assessment.

We don't report them as such, but we do say whether they are at, above or below national expectations in each subject.

CanterburySnails Mon 20-Jul-09 10:27:30

Hi Feenie. I am only slightly bugged about the school not reporting any sort of attainment level because the children knew very well they were doing SATs in May, and as the teachers told the children they were being tested, I assumed we would get to know the outcome. The report doesn't give any explanation of how dd is doing at all - no mention of national averages - the only useful information I have was from the personal comments section on the report, from which I would assume dd is doing well, although I am not sure if this is across the board or in specific subjects hmm.

Maybe it is to stop playground tittle tattle, but I am really not interested in what anyone else is doing, I just want to know where my dd is so I can help her if she is weaker in some subjects than others.

Ah well, term is nearly done now smile. How many more teaching days to go for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now