Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

School report: A for effort, C for attainment- nowhere to go from here!!

(5 Posts)
faraday Fri 17-Jul-09 13:20:53

Actually, there IS I suppose but I was- well, a tiny bit disappointed tbh. Whilst obviously I'm very glad that the DC puts in the effort, STILL 'only' getting a 'C' grade for output means working harder won't achieve better results! At least if there'd been a B for effort we'd have some leeway!

I guess that deep in my soul I though the DC in question was more of a B grade achieving pupil: need to adjust expectations!

ZZZenAgain Fri 17-Jul-09 13:25:12

which subject? What age?

Sometimes it needs a bit of time for things to click and fall into the place. When the basics are there, the mark can improve with continued effort surely.

faraday Fri 17-Jul-09 13:39:16

DS2 is Y3 and 8 yrs old, he got A for effort in everything, C for attainment in everything except geography (B)!

I guess he will be the plodder- he is also rather young for his age. I am very happy that he's trying hard, but I worry that that might trail off should he start twigging that his effort is only reaping 'average' results (bear in mind I believe 'Average' is used across the board in education to actually mean 'not really doing THAT well' rather than 'sitting at the 50th percentile'!).

ZZZenAgain Fri 17-Jul-09 14:19:21

well the report has been rapped off by a busy teacher, though no doubt conscientious it is not 100% a reflection of your dc's achievements I think. It is a possibility too that his teacher(s) this year have not taught the subjects in a manner that is best geered to his particular learning style.

If you worry about his grades a bit, maybe you could investigate learning styles and see if you can figure out what type of learner he is. It should be possible then to find some kind of supplementary work to do at home which reflects that particular learning style better than the school approach.

Basically I think he is young, hard-working and it will probably come right over time, with encouragement from you and a bit of extra work perhaps which he is enthusiastic about, ie. it has to fire his interest.

Since he likes geography, perhaps something like a project based on a different country at a time. Do a project say on America. There is so much material for that, you'd be spoilt for choice. That could cover a bit of everything (except maths really)

ZZZenAgain Fri 17-Jul-09 14:23:13

for maths, have you considered a maths website or CD-Rom (game based)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now