Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh Lord - if I said "shag bands" to you...

(23 Posts)
seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 08:52:30

....would you know what I was talking about? And if so, are they an issue in your child's school - or is it just ds's class???????

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Thu 16-Jul-09 08:54:37

Are they those thin plastic bracelets in different colours? I remember them from a few years ago (if they are the same thing). Different colours meant that you had done certain things. Back in fashion again are they?

littleboyblue Thu 16-Jul-09 08:55:41

Yes, we had them when I was at school. Can't remember what colours meant what though.......

GrinnyPig Thu 16-Jul-09 09:00:32

I've never heard of these. Is this at primary school? shock

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 16-Jul-09 09:01:33

Not a flipping clue, what on earth are they ?

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 09:07:48

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shag+band i doubt they are being used in that way in a primary school!

just rubber bracelets

Trikken Thu 16-Jul-09 09:17:14

Had them at school too, although we didnt know what they were supposed to signify and just thought they were pretty. only later when a bit older we found out that if someone broke one it meant you were supposed to have shagged them. bit silly really.

hippipotamiHasLost48lbs Thu 16-Jul-09 09:22:28

Oh gosh, these are all the rage at ds's junior school - the girls have handfulls of them and they give them to certain boys to wear. The boys wear two at a time somehow linked together. Ds has been given 4 so he wears 2 on each arm. He did show me how they were looped together but it was too much for my ancient brain!
The girl in question is just a friend and she gave them to him because he helped her in maths.
I doubt they mean anything other than a symbol of friendship....
As for the colours - all the ones I have seen are neon / flourescent colours, ds has a pink, an orange, a yellow and a green.

SlytherinStretch Thu 16-Jul-09 09:27:31

Ha! I remember them from school!! I remember linking them together as well.

I wore one on my leg. When playing sport, I injured my ankle and it ballooned up. My mum kept on at me to take the bangle off but I refused, so one night when I was asleep she came in and cut it off!! I was not pleased!!!

seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 09:28:38

They are a craze at ds's school. He told me that shag was a "not very nice word" but he didn't know what it meant. When I told him it meant sex he was horrified and took his off!

I was quite pleased that he knew what sex meant but not shag. I will be interested to find out what happens when he tells the others!

hippipotamiHasLost48lbs Thu 16-Jul-09 10:51:23

I don't think ds will know what 'shag' means either and I am not going to tell him they are called that.
He is 9 and in Y5 and I honestly believe the girls are giving them out just as friendship bracelets, so I am going to continue to let him see them that way!

seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 11:25:48

He does now if he's in ds's class, Hippi!! Sorry!

seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 11:26:13

Oh, just seen he's year 5. He's safe!

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 11:28:08

That plastic bracelet thing? They were going about when i was at school, but they were just friendship bracelts really, no one shagged anyone becasue they had gifted one.

Well not that i know of anyway. grin

hippipotamiHasLost48lbs Thu 16-Jul-09 11:29:44

grin at seeker!

Haylstones Thu 16-Jul-09 11:35:13

I know what they are because i work with Year 7s and asked one of them what they were last week blush
They gave a very detailed explanation.

LittleMissBliss Thu 16-Jul-09 11:38:49

I had them when at school too! armfulls. Black ones were the best though!

It's funny how things come back into fashion again.

Hassled Thu 16-Jul-09 11:41:05

They are everywhere. Why are they called Shag Bands? Why do 4 year olds know that they're called Shag Bands? DS3 has armfuls of the things, none of which we have actually paid money for - they just seem to breed. That, or he's extorting them from 4 year olds.

seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 12:09:50

They know they are called shag bands because their big brothers and sisters tell them. Or the year 6s tell them.

hippipotamiHasLost48lbs Thu 16-Jul-09 13:11:07

I will ask my ds when he is home froms chool this afternoon. Will be interesting to see what name he comes up with. Watch this space...

LadyGlencoraSnape Thu 16-Jul-09 13:55:56

Blimey, is this an urban thing? They haven't been seen down our way yet. Chews straw and ponders thoughtfully...

MayorNaze Thu 16-Jul-09 13:58:41

oh gosh, we had these in my day...no sign of them here yet though

<<steels self for next Fad and hopes it will all die out over summer hols>>

we are still recovering from football cards and fecking skoobies angry

hippipotamiHasLost48lbs Sat 18-Jul-09 16:55:09

Sorry, forgot to come back to this. I asked ds when he came home from school.
Me: "what are those bracelets called?"
Ds: "they are called shag bands"
Me: shock "what does that mean?"
Ds: "it means that if you wear them and break one you have to do a dare"
Me: "what sort of dare?"
Ds: "like climb a tree or throw your shoes into the swimming pool"

At that point I gave him the true definition of shag and said no more about the matter.

But yesterday I noticed ds has taken the bracelets off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now