Talk

Advanced search

What do these grades mean for reception children?

(56 Posts)
BottySpottom Mon 13-Jul-09 18:47:04

Sorry if this has been done before, but they didn't give grades in recpetion when my oldest was there & we have been given no guidance at all (only for SAT scores and these don't look like SAT scores).

Against each subject is a little bar - partially greyed out and with a number next to it. There is no key, but it looks as though the maximum score, if scored, would be 10. There are 13 subject headings in total and then a total score presumably out of 130. No idea if this is a nation-wide thing or school specific.

Thank you.

lljkk Mon 13-Jul-09 18:50:08

Ask your school, ask them what were they thinking giving you scores with no explanation of meaning.

LIZS Mon 13-Jul-09 18:50:30

Suspect it is the Early Years Foundation Stage Profile, which iirc is a scale up to 9. Info here

BottySpottom Mon 13-Jul-09 18:56:27

Lljkk - will ask them tomorrow, but just idly wondering tonight (very impatient).

Lizs - thanks, that's very helpful. So it is out of 9, not 10.

BottySpottom Mon 13-Jul-09 18:57:54

Sorry, next dim question (good job it's not me being graded!) - does anyone know what the average or expected score for the year is? DC is 6 in Sept so old for the year.

Thanks again.

LIZS Mon 13-Jul-09 19:16:16

There won't be an average , it is a scale for the whole of Foundation Stage(age 3-5) but most should score 8 in some areas by end of Reception

nooonit Mon 13-Jul-09 19:18:36

It's out of 117. 78 is the average which (theoretically!) converts to 2b at end of KS1 and 4b at end of KS2.

So if you count up the 'a' boxes (achieving) boxes that should give you a total.

BottySpottom Mon 13-Jul-09 19:41:41

Thanks both, but bit confused now as Lizs you seem to be saying '8' is the expected level, but noonit you seem to be saying '6' is the average (presumably if total is 117 and there are 13 sections).

mrz Mon 13-Jul-09 19:47:08

6 is considered average
9 is working above expectations consistently

the dispositions and attitudes strand is considered to be the best indicator of future success.

dee0468 Tue 14-Jul-09 16:35:06

So if my daughter receives a report saying she is working at the expected level that would equate to a 6 I guess. Exceeding would maybe be an 8.

I would love to have the figures and I have asked for them. Will have to wait and see whether I get them.

My daughter is moving into a mixed year1/2 class at end of reception which suggests she is one of better children but her report as it is doesn't really indicate it.

Redazzy Tue 14-Jul-09 17:12:59

Hi, just got my son's scores. Didn't even know we would be getting this sort of thing so was a bit of a surprise.

Ours comes with an explanatory letter regarding scores.

1-3 indicates your child is still progressing towards the early learning goals.

4-7 indicates your child has achieved some of the early learning goals in a particular area of learning

8 indicates your child has achieved all the early learning goals in a particular area

9 indicates your child has achieved all the early learning goals and has demonstrated significant abilities in a particular area of learning.

Hope that helps.

MoonchildNo6 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:16:27

We just had the recption report too, the covering letter said 6-8 is good, 9 is working towards key stage 1 (i.e. very good)

We had this at pre school too.

southernbelle77 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:59:20

mrz that is interesting about "the dispositions and attitudes strand is considered to be the best indicator of future success." as dd got 8's and 9's for nearly everything apart from dispositions and attitudes which is got 7 for! I thought it was because she is a 'daydreamer' and doesn't concentrate enough! Will be intestesting to see at the end of KS1 and KS2 to see!

bottyspottom we were told that '6' is the average and that should be hopefully achieving at least that in most things.

pigswithfludontfly Tue 14-Jul-09 18:07:18

But surely dispositions and attitudes is one of the least measurable aspects of the reports?

So might not be that reliable a score?

mrz Tue 14-Jul-09 18:32:06

Current research identified four essential elements needed
. Communication and language skills;
• Attitudes and dispositions;
• Social competence and self esteem;
• Emotional well being.

sometimes referred to as Advancement Attributes’.

The Dispositions and Attitudes element is seen as vitally important

Attitudes and Dispositions to Learn
The child shows:
Independence;
Creativity;
Self Motivation;
Resilience.

pigswithfludontfly Tue 14-Jul-09 20:37:21

But how do you quantify those things? It sounds quite subjective yet teachers are expected to stick a score on them.

mrz Tue 14-Jul-09 21:33:13

It's actually a completely different system to that used by teachers in schools and I'm afraid we aren't part of the study so I can't say how it works. I do know it is a longitudinal study following children from reception through to the end of education.

zeke Wed 15-Jul-09 10:13:53

I found the scores useful in knowing what my son is good and weaker at, relatively, at this age. I fully expect that to change though.
His teacher's covering note said to bear in mind the child's age. I think my son has matured massively during this year, from just four to approaching five. He is still younger than some of his classmates were when they started reception though, and is now noticably less mature than the 'autumn girls'.
I fully understand what my SIL said now about it actually being more of a worry having an autumn born child than a summer born one (she has both) - she felt a massive expectation for her autumn born to be in the top achievers, and much less 'pressure' with her summer-borns.
My son's teacher said that six was average and that is what is got for dispositions and attitudes (missed point 6, put attained points 5 and 7). I have always thought that he is broadly average though!

mrz Wed 15-Jul-09 17:05:54

Just to clarify when teachers say 6 is average they mean a score of 6 NOT the actual point 6. Points 4-8 aren't hierarchial and can be achieved in any order so a child could achieve points 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 = score of 6 or 1,2,3, 4,5,6 = score of 6 or any other combination.

Mrsdoasyouwouldbedoneby Wed 15-Jul-09 20:03:53

If you goggle the EYFS And look up the Statutory Framework. It explains it. In appendix 1 it explains how they should assess and the assessment scales. It lists all the areas (as you have in the report) and explains how it gets graded.

So 1-3 = working below the Early learning goals
4-8= Drawn from the ELGs themselevs (as someone says, not hierarchical)
9= Exceeding the ELGs consistently.

It [framework] is an okay read, and does explain it quite well!!!

BottySpottom Wed 15-Jul-09 20:48:13

By 'not hierarchial' do you both mean that they can achieve different scores in different areas?

katiestar Wed 15-Jul-09 21:29:18

OOh good my DD is at level 8 for that and hasn't started school yet !

mrz Wed 15-Jul-09 21:31:58

No I mean (in any area - reading - number - Creative etc) that point 8 isn't more difficult than point 4 and point 5 isn't easier than point 6 etc.

mrz Wed 15-Jul-09 21:32:47

katiestar they aren't levels

katiestar Thu 16-Jul-09 15:01:34

I thought they were scale points ? To say they are not hierachical is a bit odd IMO.I mean ,for example ,blending sounds usually comes after knowing letter sounds doesn't it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now