Talk

Advanced search

DD's SATS results

(42 Posts)
annieboo Sat 11-Jul-09 11:37:56

My dd who is an August child has scored 3 2As in her sats results - is this ok?

sagacious Sat 11-Jul-09 11:39:19

If shes a year 2 then yes
If year 6 then not really

Don't you get any info from the school?

Quattrocento Sat 11-Jul-09 11:44:00

I sympathise because I was utterly baffled by SATS results. Read this thread. It'll tell you all you need to know about where your DD should be.

annieboo Sat 11-Jul-09 11:44:20

no not really - she's a year 2

nkf Sat 11-Jul-09 11:45:35

For year 2, she's in line with expected.

Feenie Sat 11-Jul-09 13:47:19

They are teacher assessments, not SAT results. They are drawn from lots of sources of evidence, not just the tests.

2A is above expected attainment for Y2, which is 2b for the average child (whoever that is!).

Simples Sat 11-Jul-09 13:48:31

5s all around here

Feenie Sat 11-Jul-09 13:54:45

Not in Y2, simples!

Quattrocento Sat 11-Jul-09 16:19:30

I think two boys got a 5 in DS's maths group (top set of academic school). DS is 9 and was grumpy because he got a 4a. So I'm convinced that 5s all around cannot be the norm at 9 and certainly not at 7.

bumpsoon Sat 11-Jul-09 16:41:33

My DD got 1s and a w ,but we cant all be academics can we ,im going to groom her to marry well grin They are going to test her for dyslexia next school year as when she had a special needs assessment ,they highlighted areas that are common with dyslexic children

paranoid2 Sat 11-Jul-09 23:21:15

Dont understand how anyone can be baffled by SATs results. There are tons of sites that explain whats expected and MN has lots of posts on the subject.Does the school not explain whats the average and above?

Whats worse is that some people who were claiming ignorance a couple of days ago have been on again and again posting about the 4's their child got (yawn)

Feenie Sat 11-Jul-09 23:47:08

Really? I post a lot on these threads, as a Literacy and Assessment co-ordinator, and haven't noticed any duplication.

Spill! grin

Quattrocento Sun 12-Jul-09 00:02:43

I understand how people can be baffled by it. Particularly if they are new to the system and there are no explanations given by the school. There have literally been a stack of threads about this, so the experience can't be uncommon.

Also if you work through the National Curriculum website, you don't get any information at all. So I don't think it's obvious when you google either. Speaking as one who googled for a while and didn't come up with anything.

I'm kind of surprised by the hostility though. I mean isn't it a legitimate question to ask?

paranoid2 Sun 12-Jul-09 10:38:12

Yes and you dont get people baffled if their children get 1's strangely enough. The majority of these threads seem to be written by people whose children have done really well and who would be able to find out the levels by simply typing something like "expected levels at the end of key stage 1" into Google or by asking Mumsnet where they could be found without actually saying what a childs score is.
Nobody minds bragging/proud mummy moments but when there is an obvious attempt to disguise them as something else its a little wearing.

hocuspontas Sun 12-Jul-09 10:49:12

lol paranoid! It does come across like that!

Quattrocento Sun 12-Jul-09 11:07:08

It might be due to maternal pride, as you say. Alternatively it might be lack of parental interest, causing said underachievement. But by all means be cynical. Most of the time, I'm sure you'll be right.

Takver Sun 12-Jul-09 14:09:11

The thing is, they can be a bit mystifying. So, for example, dd was graded the same for reading - which she has always found easy and does all the time for pleasure, and for writing - where she has struggled desperately for the last 2 years, we have Been In For Meetings, she has A Plan et al. So what are we meant to make of that?
(As it happens, what I make of it is that its just a number, she's only 7, and it probably doesn't mean that much at all grin, particularly since I remember some rather random school gradings in my younger days)

Takver Sun 12-Jul-09 14:37:54

Aha, I have found this website which actually lists what they expect a child to have achieved to be graded at a particular level.

schilke Sun 12-Jul-09 14:47:03

I'm a bit supsicious of these threads. When ds1 did his sats in yr 2 I asked his teacher what the numbers meant.

Also, addition of "August child" implies ooh look she's youngest in the year and got xyz hmm

coolma Sun 12-Jul-09 16:14:12

Well, my little lad who is 9, did really quite badly in his last SATs. Do you know what, I don't give a stuff. What I was over the moon about was his teacher telling me that he is a kind and generous little boy who is always thinking of other people and whose classmates parents say things like 'which one is G, my daughter/son always tells me how thoughtful he is'. So there smile

paranoid2 Sun 12-Jul-09 18:41:39

yes the August child bit was a bit hmm

forehead Sun 12-Jul-09 20:09:43

I agree with paranoid2 these parents are bragging.

Quattrocento Sun 12-Jul-09 20:17:15

There are many threads on this subject but the one which is sort of relevant to this had more than one parent in utter confusion as to which way was up - in relation to the sublevels so is A better than or worse than B?

bequiet Mon 13-Jul-09 17:05:09

A prime example of this faux naiivity has just been posted - 'my child got 2B in Y1, is this ok, or do I need to support during holidays??' Yawn.

lljkk Mon 13-Jul-09 18:53:17

Quattro, I know some queries are genuine, it's just that NOBODY EVER QUERIES "Is it okay that my child got a W in their Yr1 results?", or similar. Do inquisitive parents only have children who get higher than average results, or what??

We need a BOAST ABOUT YOUR CHILD's SAT RESULTS HERE!! thread in Chat .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now