Talk

Advanced search

Class sizes

(5 Posts)
123andaway Sat 11-Jul-09 11:24:40

We've just had DS2s class list home for next year, he will be going into year 4. He will be in a split year 3/4 class of 36 children! Can this be right? I though 30 was the max class size, and surely having a split year group just makes it even harder for the teacher, without having this many children too.

AvengingGerbil Sat 11-Jul-09 11:34:17

The 30 limit only applies to infant classes, ie yrs 1 & 2.

Ba

Pyrocanthus Sat 11-Jul-09 21:54:49

That's a big class - what other support does the teacher have, presumably at least one TA?

123andaway Sun 12-Jul-09 09:06:08

I didn't realise the 30 limit was only for infants.

DS's year is a single class intake, and he's been with the same class of 27 since reception.

The year below him is a larger intake of around 50, and they have always been 2 smaller classes of around 25.

What they appear to have done is taken these 3 classes and made them into 2 huge classes, which I guess saves them a teacher and TA.

Not great for the kids or the teachers though!

mrz Sun 12-Jul-09 09:15:13

We are an over subscribed school and what we find is that in KS2 once the infant class size rule no longer applies we get an influx of children so 36 is an average class size for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now