Talk

Advanced search

Can someone tell me what the expected grades are for each year group

(13 Posts)
pepsi Fri 10-Jul-09 14:15:55

Just wondered, my kids I believe are doing ok. I think children are required to reach 3b for year 4 but could be wrong. Can someone tell me what they should reached in Year 2 3 and 5. Thanks.

mummyrex Fri 10-Jul-09 14:23:30

There are only two years where there are 'official' tests and therefore official expectations. Those are Y2 (level 2) and Y6 (level 4). These are minimum standards and in good schools many of the more able children will get Level 5 in Y6.

IMO 3b is a good result for Y4.

southernbelle77 Fri 10-Jul-09 14:39:08

We have been given a 'gradings' code as follows:

below av. av. above av.

Year 1 1b or below 1a-2c 2b+
year 2 2c or below 2b-2a 3c+
Year 3 2b or below 2a-3c 3b+
Year 4 3c or below 3b-3a 4c+
Year 5 3b or below 3a-4c 4b+
Year 6 3a or below 4c-4a 5

Hope that makes sense and HTH.

southernbelle77 Fri 10-Jul-09 14:40:44

that didn't work did it!

Below av is up to 'or below'
av is the '1a-2c etc
above av is '2b+'

Hope that makes more sense!

sinclair Fri 10-Jul-09 15:18:32

What matters is your child's progress, and they are looking for two thirds of a NC level a year. So if 2c for reading at end KS1 you would want to know DC was on track to get 2a by end y3 - and if not what they are doing to specifically address DC's reading, eg. This they should be prepared to share with you. Some schools will tell you where that puts your DC in the class, some won't. DCs themselves usually know exactly where they are by setted subjects tho!

southeastastra Fri 10-Jul-09 15:45:50

i hate these tests. my son is still behind. i just want to cry.

ingles2 Fri 10-Jul-09 15:50:54

they in theory should move a level every 2 years
so average is
yr 2 2b
yr 4 3b
yr 6 4b

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 17:28:22

Are these actually tests? It says on ours 'teacher assessment'.

Poor ds really behind, not that I've let him know this. I think it stinks - what do they expect us to do? He's one of the brightest kids I know, really forward in everything, until it would seem he was required to meet some standard academically.

I think he just doesn't understand what they want from him.

<rant, sorry>

ingles2 Fri 10-Jul-09 18:50:14

from year 2 Lucy, they do actual timed tests... The school only has to submit the results in yr2 and 6 though.

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 18:59:06

Thanks Ingles...that's to look forward to then <groan> smile

Sexonlegs Fri 10-Jul-09 21:35:44

Oh I am glad I found this thread.

DD1 (was 6 in May and in Yr1) has had her report. It is glowing in many respects, but I am confused by the teacher assessments:

1a for reading
2c for writing
2c for maths
1a for science

Looking at the explanatory letter we had with the report, 1 seems to be way below average and 2 is below average. I am shocked to the core. B is on gold band books and is in the second top set for reading and writing.

Can anyone help? I feel really down. I help at school on a Friday and no for a fact that B's reading is above average in the class.

Feenie Fri 10-Jul-09 21:40:44

Ingles - the tests only support teacher assessment, and are a small part of it. Teacher assessments use lots of different sources of evidence, not just the tests.

Sexonlegs 1a is about average for end of Y1, and 2c is above average.

Sexonlegs Fri 10-Jul-09 21:51:03

Thank you so much Feenie. Feel much better now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now