Talk

Advanced search

If you have dc in yr 2, how often.........

(10 Posts)
orangehead Fri 10-Jul-09 10:53:12

does the teacher,ta or parent helper read with them and have often do they get new books?

hana Fri 10-Jul-09 11:03:10

no idea how often read to, hardly ever I would say.
changes books as she finishes - could be every day, or as and when she says she needs a new one

MagNacarta Fri 10-Jul-09 11:05:10

They are expected to read everyday at home although if you write a note saying 'tired' that is understood. Read to a member of staff at school once or twice a week. We have a lovely school (state).

suwoo Fri 10-Jul-09 11:07:43

No idea. My DD has been a free reader since very early in year 1 so the books she brings home are longer ones like Roald Dahl or Dick King Smith so it takes her a while to read them. I think the ones still on the reading scheme are supposed to change their books once a week.

maloofysmum Fri 10-Jul-09 11:10:06

Hi orangehead

My dd is in y2 and she has probably read with an adult individually in school 6 times this school year (mostly with me as I am the parent helper). She brings home 2 books a week which are replaced every Friday.

They do do "Guided reading" once a week/ fortnight and that's about it. HTH

coppertop Fri 10-Jul-09 11:12:13

Policy at ours seems to be a new book each week. They don't seem to do much individual reading with an adult at school but they do guided reading every week or so.

orangehead Fri 10-Jul-09 11:22:16

Thanks everyone. He got a new teacher half way through the year. The old one used to read with him every week and changed his books every week. This new teacher started of ok, but the last time someone read with him was the beginning of may. He only gets new books when I ask, a couple of times I have not asked to see when she will change and it has got to 3 weeks and then I have asked again. He is still on a lower level book but breezes through them and far too easy for him. For at least the last 4 months I have been writing in his book 'ds2 read this book perfectly with no mistakes' but she has not moved him up, but then if no one she reading with him they wont know. I have also chatted to her. Anyway I have given up with the school books now and he is reading astrosaurs from the library

cory Fri 10-Jul-09 12:58:02

In Yr 2 they were responsible for changing their own books.

mankyscotslass Fri 10-Jul-09 13:14:13

DS is in year 2. Looking at his planner I would say teacher has heard him read 3 times since the start of the year.

He can change his reading book every day if he has read it to me and I have signed his planner.

lljkk Fri 10-Jul-09 13:18:57

As a parent volunteer, I used to listen to Yr2s reading and help them change books, I think they ended up changing weekly mostly except near the end of term.

I take mine to library lots, too, best way to go, really, rather than rely on school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now