Talk

Advanced search

call all reception teachers - advice please?

(11 Posts)
mollymay Wed 08-Jul-09 21:19:29

Should a child have reached all the EYFGs by the end of Reception?

plusonemore Wed 08-Jul-09 21:25:08

no
'they' (LA type people) dislike it if they do, the last couple in each area are meant to be Y1 level goals. IME it is quite possible for someone to acheive most, if they are the top 5% of their class, just a couple of the knowledge and understanding of the world really difficult to achieve
dont worry bout it

mollymay Wed 08-Jul-09 21:55:21

thanks plusonemore - its really hard to know at this early age whether they're doing everything they should be as the school reports are so vague...

In my opinion as a cm - no!!! Children learn and develop at different rates and I think these new ELGs are too much pressure on practitioners and children! Some of them are difficult to achieve, especially for summer babies who may be 364 days younger than their classmates under the current admission system!

Like plus said, don't worry about it.

plusonemore Wed 08-Jul-09 22:03:28

they shouldnt be vague really, ours are 4 sides A4!! if they are vague it could be a bit too much 'report writer' going on. 5/6 for each area is good. If they are reading somewhat, having a go at writing, recognise/order/compare numbers to 20 then no worries

mollymay Wed 08-Jul-09 22:04:22

ah thanks - my ds is a july baby so is one of the younger ones!

mollymay Wed 08-Jul-09 22:12:02

sorry when I say vague I mean they have just copied text from the early years guidelines. There are no numbers (i.e. 5/6 etc. He has either 'achieved' or is 'working within'..whatever that means!

mollymay Wed 08-Jul-09 22:13:47

sorry when I say vague I mean they have just copied text from the early years guidelines. There are no numbers (i.e. 5/6 etc. He has either 'achieved' or is 'working within'..whatever that means!

Heifer Wed 08-Jul-09 22:37:54

Can someone point me in the right direction to see what the EYFGs for reception is please?

I haven't had DD school report yet but am interested to see what is expected to have been achieved.

DontCallMeBaby Sat 11-Jul-09 18:37:17

Heifer, here - the top two links on the right of the page. One is a single sheet crib, the other is the full handbook with examples of what children might do to achieve the levels.

Might be useful for mollymay too, if they've really just copied the text you might be able to work out the numbers, if that sort of thing floats your boat. ;)

Heifer Sun 12-Jul-09 22:36:25

thanks for that (sorry only just noticed)..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now