Talk

Advanced search

All Y6 Mums. . .

(18 Posts)
CathedralMum Wed 08-Jul-09 20:04:13

So. . .it's coming to the end of an era - your dc is leaving and moving up to big school. What's your favourite memory from their primary school days?
Am I the only one who's cried most days this week? Mine's an only, so it's my first and last time of leaving. . .she's been so happy where she is, and I don't really want her to leave!

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jul-09 20:15:24

Mine stays at middle school til end of year 8.....3 tier system here.

He's been in a tie and blazer finding his way round with a timetable since year 5.

CathedralMum Wed 08-Jul-09 20:18:14

He sounds so mature ILoveTIFFANY. . .I think dd is ready now, but I don't think she has been since Y5!

maria1665 Wed 08-Jul-09 20:20:21

My DS cannot wait to leave - he is literally counting the hours. Y6 teacher was completely bonkers and SATS obsessed - she now had Y6 taken from her, but its too late for DS.

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jul-09 20:24:52

Well I think this is one advantage of the 3 tier. Lower school til end yr4, then up to the middle school, on school bus! He took some settling as he's youngest in year group (aug 31 birthday) and it did feel like he ( and both older sisters) missed out on alot of primary stuff. But it's been really good. I also have one moving up to the upper school tomorrow. Upper school start their new year groups tomorrow instead if September, so they also miss out on last week of 'messing about' and start year 9 early, so straight in when September comes.

hatesponge Wed 08-Jul-09 20:27:23

My DS is a bit sad about leaving, am not sure it has really hit him yet though that he is leaving all his friends etc.

He narrowly missed getting into the selective school we had hoped for, and most of his friends are either going there or to the local single sex schools (I wanted him to go to a mixed school, but he is one of only 3 - from a year of nearly 60 - going there).

TBH, the school has let him down in many ways, he's never been encouraged academically - schools view was hes in the top section of the class, doesnt matter his homework has never taken him more than 5-10 minutes since reception hmm. oh, and when he was in year 3 they allowed a year 6 boy to assault him & leave a permanent scar on his face. So actually I'm not that sad about him leaving the school, only the great friends he has made.

TheOldVicarage Wed 08-Jul-09 20:28:24

There must be some people who are sad about their dc leaving primary school. . .or am I alone?

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jul-09 20:32:18

I'm always sad at end of school year!!
Wether they change school or not!!
Dd is leaving her middle school (yr8) moving to upper tomorrow, so yes, am sad! She has her uniform all laid out, and as it's a performing arts school, she's really excited to have a dance class straightaway!! Her new timetable has Spanish too, new language for this household!

Hassled Wed 08-Jul-09 20:33:49

DS2 had an induction day at High School today - came home all wide eyed and edgy, and then had a bit of a sob (the division of friends into forms has been quite random - DS2 is a bit out of the crowd), so I'm having a bit of a moment.

But some kid in his new form told him he could show him how to break into a locker if he wanted, so there's always a plus hmm.

TheOldVicarage Wed 08-Jul-09 20:35:46

ILoveTIFFANY that's really sweet - I hopes she enjoys it - she's obviously really excited! I don't think they offer dance classes round here - where abouts are you?
I know what you mean about always being sad every year. I just can't really believe it's been seven years since I took my little four year old in for the first time! I guess I've just looked at her and seen how much she's grown up!

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jul-09 20:35:58

At the moment all my DC are hunting out lost library/text books, and locker keys !!!

£5 for return of their locker keys!!

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jul-09 20:37:22

We re in bedfordshire. Performing arts school so they do gcse dance and drama

TheOldVicarage Wed 08-Jul-09 20:43:10

Oh dear Hassled. . .Dd was quite quiet and pale when she came out of her induction day, but I don't know how much of that was shock, and how much of it was actually that she didn't like the new school (she hasn't said anything about not liking the new school, so I'm hoping. . .). She's not with any of her friends either, but that's because she going to a private school, and they're not! Loads of girls in her class are in the same position, though, so I hope that she makes some new ones!
ILoveTIFFANY - that sounds like such fun - the dance and drama I mean - not the locker keys!

Wilts Wed 08-Jul-09 20:43:23

When Ds1 left primary last year I went into thank the teacher, burst into tears, and she ended up cuddling me blush

TheOldVicarage Wed 08-Jul-09 20:59:50

I'm glad somebody feels like me Wilts. I just keep thinking about all the plays, and all the sports days and Christmas Parties, and thinking that I will miss being involved. A lot of dd's friends have younger siblings, so their parents aren't going through what I'm going through. DH feels sad, too, but he's not been the one at the gate, and listening to her class read. . .

bruffin Wed 08-Jul-09 22:09:36

I am sad, our little primary backs onto our estate and when I am home during the day I can hear the dcs playing at play time.

DD is having such a lovely time in year6. Loves both of her teachers and lots of good friends. Only 2 will go with her to secondary which is 6 miles away. She has her leaving prom on saturday and a disco on friday as well as the play and last church service and the finally a leaving assembly on friday.
She has let slip they have been practising "You Raise Me Up" so I know I will blubber all the way through it.

She met her new form teacher tonight and has induction day tomorrow, followed by CATS on Friday. It's a lovely secondary she is going to and DS has flourished there, so I have no doubts about her.
As her teacher said "she is more than ready for secondary, but is secondary ready for her" grin

It is sad to lose the contact you have with primary and no longer knowing other parents etc

Pyrocanthus Wed 08-Jul-09 22:12:08

DD1 says she's not looking forward to leaving primary next week because it's been great and her friends are scattering to several schools, but she is looking forward to the holidays, but then she also wants the holiday to be over because she's looking forward to secondary school...

She's all over the place, but I think in quite a healthy way.

I'm prepared to get very weepy myself on the last day, but have another DD in year 4. Will be much worse when she finishes.

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 08-Jul-09 22:12:23

Ds2 has hated primary school, well since we moved half way through Year 2 anyway. He has been ready for secondary since his brother went up 2 years ago.

Having been miserable for so long, he is now actually enjoying school because he can see the end is in sight. My best memory? It will be seeing him walking out the playground for the last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now