Talk

Advanced search

DS class watched a DVD all afternoon today.............. AIBU to be cross?

(21 Posts)
Yurtgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 21:51:24

DS is finishing year 2
Apparently today his reception, year 1 and 2 class watched a dvd on the smart board all afternoon (well they went out for playtime but y'know what I mean)

And they will watch another tommorrow

And the day after

And no doubt on friday too

And every afternoon next week

AIBU to be utterly cross with that

What would you do? If anything?

RenagadeMum Tue 07-Jul-09 21:52:17

If one off, no.
If happens more than that hmm

Yurtgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 21:52:27

Exactly the same thing happened before christmas - dvd all afternoon every afternoon for the week and a half before the holidays

Heated Tue 07-Jul-09 21:53:19

That's bad. An afternoon is fine but not the whole week and next!

blametheparents Tue 07-Jul-09 21:53:49

At our schoool they watch a DVD one afternoon during the last week, but not one every afternoon for a week. Sounds a bit excessive to me.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 07-Jul-09 21:54:11

I would find out the teacher's version of the story before being cross. I have a year two child too and I wouldn't necessarily accept their version of classroom events without speaking to the teacher.

Yurtgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 21:59:55

Im going to talk to his teacher tommorrow obviously

On the last day of term before christmas ds told me what they had watched each afternoon for the previous week and a half - a list of dvd titles shock

We have no tv at home and my lo's rarely ask to watch a dvd (and frequently switch it off before the end as they get bored!) so for them to be doing this at school gets my goat frankly!!!!! shock

flatcapandpearls Tue 07-Jul-09 22:00:02

I would be angry too and complain. One Dvd on the last day is acceptable and even then not great.

lockets Tue 07-Jul-09 22:03:54

Message withdrawn

Yurtgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 22:12:39

Im glad your dd loves school lockets

The trouble for ds in his school atm is that by watching dvds all afternoon he isnt being taught anything!!!!!!

One afternoon would be fine - but unfortunately some schools seem to think a smart board is really handy as a daily end of term dvd player - which normally causes ds to be difficult after school (he has aspergers) argh!!!!!!!

Rachmumoftwo Tue 07-Jul-09 22:14:20

My class voted for a DVD instead of their usual golden time activities during the recent heatwave- they were too wiped out to be active!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 07-Jul-09 22:16:03

that is unbelievably lazy

are you sure it will happen every afternoon? I am a teacher who can think of no possible justification for this, end of term or no

janeite Tue 07-Jul-09 22:16:19

One every afternoon for a week or more is really unacceptable.

I am a teacher and sometimes watch one in my last lesson with a class at the end of the year - the rest of the term we work: and sometimes we work on the last day too, depending on how mean I'm feeling / how much work they have finished in the run-up. Eg: my Yr 10 won't get near a DVD this term but my Yr 8 might, just might, get their last lesson watching a film of a book.

littleducks Tue 07-Jul-09 22:20:19

and if you took them out of school for a family holiday, you would be demonised hmm

Yurtgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 22:23:40

Yay I am not being unreasonable to be cross

I will ask tommorrow - but given that they watched a welsh duck called Holi Hana all afternoon today (same dvd twice!) I am fairly sure the pattern is now set

Reports have been distributed, parents evenings are optional hmm
Few incentives for them to do much apparently

Heat wave well and truly over here so no excuse there

They always watch dvds all playtime if it rains too - in my day we played games, drew pictues and read books (way back in the 80s!!)

thirtypence Tue 07-Jul-09 22:26:47

Well you could report them to the performing rights people. I don't think you are allowed to show DVDs in schools without paying royalties.

Ds does watch the odd DVD at school at the end of term but they work them so hard and long the rest of the time that I don't mind. I would mind every afternoon though.

ZZZenAgain Tue 07-Jul-09 22:27:55

YANBU

zeke Wed 08-Jul-09 12:13:11

That is way, way too much DVD watching.

At our (Secondary) the last day is all DVD's /exciting science demo's etc but not that far in advance!

I would be annoyed, this isn't an end of term 'treat' - it is teachers getting paid for being incredibly lazy!

I would wait before you say anything. If they watch DVD's AGAIN tomorrow then....yes, I would say something.

StealthPolarBear Wed 08-Jul-09 12:16:21

Surely a week and a half is a sizeable chuck of the term!
Wouldn't mind the odd DVD or games for a day or two but a week and a half is taking the p!

Toffeepopple Wed 08-Jul-09 12:23:42

That sounds like a lot.

Think it's good you're checking though. A couple of mums at our school complained when they'd heard all of year one had watched DVDs one Friday afternoon.

When it was explained it was because a huge number of staff went to a funeral for one of the school mums, most people felt it was OK.

If your son's story is the full story, I would be shocked though! I know that DS's school is in wind-down mode, but the activities they're doing are things like cutting out magazines to make their own travel brochures, etc. Not just TV!

They do sometimes have TV on wet lunchtimes, but it is on a roster, so even if it rained all week they would only watch TV twice.

Yurtgirl Wed 08-Jul-09 13:01:25

The school is having a party today - bouncy castle in school hall

So I am hoping no dvds today but.... we shall see

I have asked for a chat with both of my lo's teachers re their school reports - both teachers said I am the only one so far to ask shock

I didnt ask re dvds this morning - thought I would wait and see esp bouncy castle surely must mean no dvd - but the smart board was on as I dropped ds off this morning with the webcam switched on and kids watching that so...... not holding my breath tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now