Talk

Advanced search

SATS help again please

(5 Posts)
racmac Tue 07-Jul-09 13:26:25

I know this has been done to death but looking for help please

DS8 is in Yr 3 and has just done optional sats, he was home educated last year so didnt do them so have no idea what the numbers mean.

It says reading 2A
Writing 2B
Maths 2B

It says reading in line with other pupils but Writing and Maths below expectations.

Im confused by this - if 2A is in line then wouldnt 2B be in line

ie i presumed it went

1a 1b 1c 2a 2b 2c 3a etc etc

Am i missing something?

It also says that in reading and writing he made above expected progress but in Maths made below expected progress.

lou031205 Tue 07-Jul-09 13:27:43

the levels go c, b, a,

benandoli Tue 07-Jul-09 14:16:22

children are expected to make 2 sub levels progress a year ie from c to a or a to b of the next level up, so if he was 2c in maths last year has only made 1 sublevel and should have done 2. If he was 1c in reacing he has made 3 sub levels progress ie 1 more than expected!

annh Tue 07-Jul-09 14:56:53

Generally children are expected to be at Level 2 at the end of year 2, with 2b being right in the middle, 2a being above average and 2c slightly below. Many children will also do Level 3 SATS at the end of year 2 and some will gain a Level 3 in all or some of their core subjects. If your son was HEd then you may not have anything to compare his results against this year. The school should be able to provide you with last years SATs results for Year 2 which will give you an idea of how the school in general does, although obv your son is in Year 3.

myredcardigan Tue 07-Jul-09 16:31:37

2B is the government target for the end of Y2 and as mentioned children are 'expected' to progress 2 sub levels a year which would make end of Y3 target 3C. (it goes c,b,a)

However, although your son's levels are below this, they're not so far below that I'd be worried. Certainly his reading level of 2A is just below and he may have only missed 3C by one or two marks.

Did you rigidly cover the curriculum last year? It may be that there was one or two areas of the strategy that you didn't cover in enough depth or that something changed since you obtained the literature. Either way, he really isn't that far behind and if I were you, I'd wait and see how he does in next years optionals.

If you're really worried ask for the Y4 teacher to share his progress with you at Christmas. Most teachers do end of term tests and that coupled with his/her own teacher assessments should give you a broader picture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now