Talk

Advanced search

How difficult is it to have two children in different schools?

(12 Posts)
MrsTittleMouse Tue 07-Jul-09 11:40:29

We are really keen to send DD1 to a local school that is completely fantastic and would suit her down to the ground. But it doesn't have a junior department, so she would have to change schools at 7. DD2 is only 2 years younger, so if she followed her sister it would mean two years of different schools. Just how difficult would that be for us? Is it worth asking around about breakfast clubs at the junior schools? Junior school seems like an age away but I'm sure the time will fly by!

throckenholt Tue 07-Jul-09 11:41:29

where is the junior school ? If it is close by it shouldn't be a problem.

bigchris Tue 07-Jul-09 11:42:37

normally the junior school is attached to the infant school
there must be loads of parents who use the schools in the same position so it must work out okay

MrsTittleMouse Tue 07-Jul-09 11:45:12

All the other schools in the area have the infant and junior departments attached - this is the only one that doesn't. The schools are far enough away that from each other that I would have to drive.

MrsTittleMouse Tue 07-Jul-09 11:46:45

I suppose that most parents find a solution. The school is in quite an affluent area, so I don't know if the other parents there use a nanny. That wouldn't be an option for us! We've not lived here long, so I don't know any of the parents socially (yet).

ChopsTheDuck Tue 07-Jul-09 11:47:43

I would try to find out what existing parents do, there must be some way of doing it.
What is th eparkign like? I'd be a little worried about school runs unless there is laods of car parking. Getting in and out of our school takes at least half an hour because of car parking and traffic.

AramintaCane Tue 07-Jul-09 12:15:17

Many schools have a late room call and ask

sarah293 Tue 07-Jul-09 12:17:36

Message withdrawn

MrsTittleMouse Tue 07-Jul-09 13:24:33

The juniors would be much closer to our house (if we get into it, of course) so it would be walking distance. There is a busy road in the way though. The road where we live has a lot of couples with older children and retired couples, but I suppose that I could use my time to befriend a lot of other Mums in the area to share school run duties.

A lot of the children in the infant school don't stay in the public system and go to an independent or private juniors. I don't know if that would make it easier for them. We are moving to quite a posh area which makes me as we will be the oiks living on value food. grin

Fimbo Tue 07-Jul-09 13:27:48

Dd and ds are at separate school. Most people drive between the two. I used to walk but dd is now 11 and going up to High School in September so walks by herself.

They have staggered times to accommodate this though. 3pm for first school and 3.15pm for the juniors.

PfftTheMagicDragon Tue 07-Jul-09 13:43:54

We have a school like this, the follow on juniors is not close enough to walk to. The junior school staggers the start and end of the school day so that there is 15 minutes difference from the infant school.

They should do this, they are linked schools and it must be very common for siblings at both schools.

MrsTittleMouse Tue 07-Jul-09 16:18:00

Ah, sorry, I've not made myself clear. The two schools aren't linked. The best school is a stand-alone infants. It may well be that they know about these issues and have staggered with the junior schools in the ares - that's something that I need to ask about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now