Talk

Advanced search

Has your child's school closed due to Swine Flu?

(8 Posts)
ayla99 Mon 06-Jul-09 17:01:38

Was any advice given about keeping child at home? Have you all been able to take time off work or has your child gone to childminder/grandparent/neighbour etc? Is it okay to arrange playdates, let your child play in street as usual?
TIA

seeker Mon 06-Jul-09 17:05:59

The current guidance is that schools shouldn't close - life should go on as normal, with children suspected of having the virus being kept at home.

smee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:47:12

As Seeker says. Any of the symptoms, they send the child home. You have to keep them at home until well after the fever has gone - 48 hours I think is what they recommend. Playdates/ playing in the street would be irresponsibe imo..

gladders Tue 07-Jul-09 10:17:47

hello - yes our school was one of the firstto close in the country - end of May.

the advice we were given was not to let the children play with others - even those from the same school. they were however allowed to go to the park - advice was that being otside and not playing directly with other children made that ok hmm

we were lucky as we have a nanny so were able to deal with this.

BUT the advice has now changed? they are no longer closing schools? and if your school has ignored this and closed anyway, then Im assuming thee oer advice has changed as well - current advice seems to be better to get it now (it was v mild for those affected) than in the autumn.

am not sure other people will be keen on playdates though? we had lots of friends cancel on us evn after the school re-opened.

gladders Tue 07-Jul-09 10:18:46

apologies for crap typing - am blaming it on the dodgy keyboard.....

shivermetimbers Tue 07-Jul-09 10:22:50

No, Had a letter yesterday informing us that there has been a case of swine flu but are not going to close.
I dont have a problem with that decision but i do think it was unwise for the school to hand the letters to the kids, they are all in a panic now.Should have sent it in a sealed elvelope addressed to parents.

Hulababy Tue 07-Jul-09 10:25:22

Current guidleine is to keep schools open, but children displaying symptoms should stay at home, not going out, etc.

They are contagious when they have symtpoms, so shouldn't be out and about then. If they have no symptoms they are okay to be out and about, even if the school is closed because others have swine flu.

We have two suspected cases in the Y1 class I work in - no longer swabbing though. I have been in contact with them before and since.

I am home today as I believe I have an ear infection but GP could'r say for definite but prescribed antib anyway. I have a slight temp, sore throat, bloked sore ears and a headache, I am also very lethargic. But I don't believe I have swine flu. I have an infection. But, as I am feeling ill anyway and have symptoms that could be indiciative of either I am staying away. I will go out later - have to drop DD and her friend at a party and then later at drama, but will nly be out a little while and keeping myself to myself.

smee Tue 07-Jul-09 10:32:06

shiverme, we had letters too, but no panic as the cases confirmed were so mild, and more like a summer cold than flu iyswim. Not nice to get, but not too awful either. Shame at the end of term though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now