Talk

Advanced search

Best phonic books for Reception/Y1??

(12 Posts)
Pitchounette Mon 06-Jul-09 10:45:09

Message withdrawn

savoycabbage Mon 06-Jul-09 10:51:20

I like Read Write inc by Ruth Miskin. here

We use these and the writing books that go with them as we live in Australia where phonics is seen as old hat/a pile of pants. I also use the Dr Suess books like Hop on Pop

mrz Mon 06-Jul-09 10:54:29

Ragtag rhymes available from Yellowdoor Very Dr Seuss

Pitchounette Mon 06-Jul-09 11:18:40

Message withdrawn

mrz Mon 06-Jul-09 11:31:15

The second set are a bit more challenging but if he is reading 5-6 ORT he may find them too easy

set 1 book download

preciouslillywhite Mon 06-Jul-09 12:38:00

My twins (reception) find the ORT ones by Julia Donaldson are good.

The Biff and Chip ones are pretty zzzzzzz though imo

maverick Mon 06-Jul-09 12:45:15

I use Read Write Inc. and Dandelion books

www.phonicbooks.co.uk

mrz Mon 06-Jul-09 12:52:17

I use Songbirds (ORT Julia Donaldson), Big Cat Phonics and Rigby Star phonics (some get reading right and the ragtag books as extras)as reading scheme books for school but I'm not eager to encourage parents to buy reading scheme books.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 06-Jul-09 16:09:06

Jolly Phonics readers are different to others on the marker. We also had Red Nose Readers, ORT, Songbirds and the Ladybird phonics books.

DS is just finishing Yr1 and they definately helped him with his reading. We used them over the holidays and when he forgot his book etc.

giantkatestacks Mon 06-Jul-09 16:15:41

I let the school do it and just read our own stuff at home - its too easy for me to get the sounds wrong but that might be just me...

Pitchounette Tue 07-Jul-09 08:18:13

Message withdrawn

SammyK Tue 07-Jul-09 08:31:17

DS is younger, foundation stage 1, but I have just bought him the CBeebies phonics pack number one. It's really good value for money and DS loves it. It has a DVD, huge poster, and book for £10. I wanted one with the dvd as it goes through all the phonic sounds for me to familiarise myself with as well as being a good learning tool for DS.

I know there are several packs as they progress through their levels of reading but don't know what they contain. May be worth checking out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now