Talk

Advanced search

can you ask to see a SATS paper

(14 Posts)
eatyourveg Sat 04-Jul-09 13:38:25

DS has just done KS2 sats and I don't trust the results. I don't want to put ds down but he has done far better than expected. He is asd and has a statement and has been predicted 3a-4b for end of Y6 targets. english being the most tricky as his asd presents chiefly as language impairment. He had extra time and a reader for parts of it. He got 5s for english 5 for maths and 4 for science and I think school might have added a couple of full stops, capital letters or made spelling corrections. Can you ask to see the paper, as I don't want secondary school being mislead and I don't want ds having unrealistic expectations and then a potential fall.

snorkle Sat 04-Jul-09 13:52:08

That sounds awkward. Of course you can ask to see the paper, though whether or not the school will let you see it I don't know. Also, would you be able to tell if stuff had been added? If for instance the reader has 'suggested' something it would be in your son's handwriting in any case & even if not it could be hard to detect. It might be more interesting to ask the teacher how he/she thinks your son managed to raise his performance so high - maybe he has good days & not so good ones & struck lucky with the timing; maybe he's one of those lucky children who performs well in tests but struggles to focus more in everyday tasks.

I have heard tell that senior schools don't set a lot of store by SATs result & are much more guided by their own assesments, so hopefully your ds won't have unrealistic targets set for him.

I would have a little celebration with him in any case I think.

eatyourveg Sat 04-Jul-09 13:58:52

we did celebrate with him and he is very proud of himself. His optional sats in all the previous years leading up to this have been how his targets have been set so he's not one for being great at tests. Secondary school have his cat scores which show he is below average so they might twig something is amiss and with a bit of luck do their own assessment but it might be awkward explaining to ds that he isn't going backwards.

sweetfall Sat 04-Jul-09 14:01:57

in order to get a 5 he would have sat a different exam wouldn't he?

and Secondary's benchmark the kids anyway so I wouldn't worry about it

snorkle Sat 04-Jul-09 14:22:39

Has he said anything about how he managed it?
Maybe 'we'd practised that the week before so it was easy' or just 'the questions weren't as hard as I expected' type thing.

It's possible they made a mistake or muddled his results up or that he's had an excellent teacher who 'gets' him this year and really has improved - progress often isn't linear.

If he does have a 'dip' at secondary school I'm sure you can bolster his confidence by being pleased & proud of his achievements - telling him that lots of children's results dip from time to time & that you know he's working hard etc. that as his yr 6 results were soo good it was always going to be harder for him to improved than others who might have underachieved etc etc.

TheEnigmaticFlea Sat 04-Jul-09 14:32:22

I work at a junior school & the SATs results this year are all over the place, especially in English, with children who have been working at level 5 for a year getting a 4 and a couple whose work in class was nowhere near a 5 getting one in the exam. We are intending to send a lot back for remarking, particularly as the marker had made several errors in adding up the marks.

I find it interesting that the government won't trust teachers to do a professional assessment of children at the age of 11, but are happy to trust the judgement of someone who can't add 22 and 3, and doesn't bother to check....

mrz Sat 04-Jul-09 16:32:49

We thought the marking scheme had low expectations when we looked it over.

No it is a single exam in Y6 sweetfall

smartiejake Sat 04-Jul-09 17:38:23

Our SATs results are amazingly (and unexpectedly )high this year. We got nearly 50% level 5s in all but writing for our very average pupils. The reading paper seemed really hard to us but loads of them got at least a good level 4.

It might well be nothing to do with the school eatyourveg

eatyourveg Sat 04-Jul-09 19:28:12

Thanks everyone, interesting that you TheEnigmaticFlea had much the same experience. Some of the grammar kids here were dissapointed but it didn't really bother the parents as they'd already passed the 11+ and secured the school place. I think I'll hang tight then and let the secondary school see how he does.

Littlefish Sat 04-Jul-09 21:40:20

Our results were better than expected this year as well.

cornsilk Sat 04-Jul-09 21:44:40

The Secondary school will probably do their own assessments anyway.

katiestar Sat 04-Jul-09 21:59:34

The science one must have been quite easy this year as teacher has told 2 children in a year group of only 8 that they got full marks on science paper

smartiejake Tue 07-Jul-09 19:05:20

We had 97% in science this year with 63% level 5. No way are our pupils at this level. WHat a farce!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 07-Jul-09 19:13:11

As secondary science teachers, we're going to have some explaining to do when our year 7s appear to go down a level or so next year then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now