Talk

Advanced search

Boys school shoes...

(31 Posts)
norfolklass Thu 02-Jul-09 08:46:41

ARGGHHHHH!! Feel a bit better now lol!!

I always knew finding school shoes for DS who starts reception in september would be a nightmare as he has huge feet and finding normal shoes is bad enough but after yesterday I think its going to be nearly impossible.

DS is 4.4 and has a 12.5 size feet. I have no idea what width he is because he is off the scale in clarks so obviously beyond an H fitting. After realising over 2 years ago that his feet were rather wide (to say the least lol!)we have been buying him Geox shoes which have been fabulous. Not that much more expensive than Clarks etc and last for ages,actually fit and look great as well. So problem solved...until now!

I cannot find any boys Geox school shoes anywhere...they need to be black and they need to be velcro. I went into clarks today to see on the off chance if any of the shoes fitted him-we were in there over an hour and literally none of the shoes would go on his feet. Well actually one pair would with the assistant basically forcing his foot into it (Grrr!) which he is obviously not going to be able to do by himself.

We've got no other independent shoe shops here and after yesterday DS is none too keen on trying loads of shoes on so thought Id look on line to see what I could fine and tbh haven't had much luck.

have found some ok ish start rite ones which go up to an H fitting but Im assuming they are going to be pretty much like the clarks ones??

So if anyone could point me in the direction of some good quality boys school shoes Id be very happy!!

As I said they need to be Black leather,velcro and ideally have a rubber bit on the front (if that makes sense?) but can live without that!

Knowing my luck I'll find some and then his feet will grow and then they won't fit come september!!

zeke Thu 02-Jul-09 09:32:29

I have looked in start rite and clarks for the boys school shoes and not found them there. The only place I have seen them in on eBay (form a shop seller, so new!). Maybe try there. I don't know about any other shoes, sorry!

Fimbo Thu 02-Jul-09 09:36:02

His feet may slim down. My ds started in reception last September and I had to hunt out wide shoes for him. They finally gave up the ghost a couple of months ago but were actually getting wide on him.

Sorry I am babbling on, but they were from M & S (leather) and were fab. They had a huge velcro front fastening which were great for my ds.

Fimbo Thu 02-Jul-09 09:39:23

These are wide fit.

3rdnparty Thu 02-Jul-09 10:35:53

have you tried the startrite online measure thing...

www.startriteshoes.com/

I did this for my ds then got the nearest store to order them for me..

this site has good prices but not huge range

http://www.shoesforkids.co.uk/

hope helps just starting to look myself!

MangoJuggler Thu 02-Jul-09 10:44:44

Go to an independent shoe shop, ours stocks italian boys shoes with velcro fastenings, up to big size 7

the start rite shoe guide is a great idea too

CMOTdibbler Thu 02-Jul-09 11:01:19

Ricosta have a selection of black boys shoes - this seems to meet all your criteria, the wide fitting on them is really very wide (my DS is a J and wears Ricosta no problem), and is available online. Also this one

TEJQ Thu 02-Jul-09 12:43:11

I find Startrite are a deeper fit than Clarks and I much prefer them, but they are usually more expensive which is why less people buy them. I made the mistake of switching to Clarks to save a bit last winter and I found I hated the way the shoes seemed to be 'on' his feet, rather than his feet being 'in' the shoes - couldn't wait to get back to Startrite.

norfolklass Thu 02-Jul-09 14:15:18

Thanks all-very helpful!

I did actually try the M&S ones on last time we were in there and they did fit but looked awful on his feet. Problem is he is only 4 but with massive feet so I need shoes which are big but look small (if that makes sense?) cause if not he looks like he has canal barges on his feet lol!! Im probably being really fussy aren't I but figured if he's in them all day long they need to look good and be comfortable.

Those Ricosta ones looks good and I found some Buckle My Shoe ones this morning on-line which look fab as well so might order them.

TEJQ-Thanks for the info about startrite ones-think I might have to download those foot measurer things which someone recommended cause there is no where round here that stocks startrite. Its good that they are deeper...thats pretty much what I need. Its hard to explain but its the top part of his foot thats high and wide as opposed to the bit near his toes (if that makes any sense at all lol??) so most of the shoes he can even get his foot into let alone do them up.

Have you found the startrite ones wear well? DS is not particularly hard on his shoes...he grows out of them rather than wears them out but obviously being a 4 year old boy they do take some battering!! Tbh Im not bothered too much about the cost of them-I found some lovely ones for £47 and if nothing else fits I might get those (DH will probably divorce me though!!) but figured he only will have 1 pair of school shoes and a pair of Geox trainers at a time and if he was a girl he'd probably have loads of pairs of shoes so can sort of afford to buy some really decent ones!

MadameCastafiore Thu 02-Jul-09 14:17:21

Have you had a look at Kickers?

sarah293 Thu 02-Jul-09 14:19:38

Message withdrawn

lljkk Thu 02-Jul-09 14:24:25

Where do you live, Norfolklass?

norfolklass Thu 02-Jul-09 14:46:30

LOL Riven...I did think about doing that as well but even most trainers won't go over his feet either!! Im hoping they will slow down growing soon and also thin out because he's going to have the same size feet as me soon lol!

Madame-nope haven't looked at kickers so will add that to my list as well...thank you!

LLJJK-I live in norfolk (obviously lol!) but vvery close to norfolk/suffolk border. Its basically 25 miles either way to the nearest place with decent shoe shops. We went to Startrite factory shop last year but because they are nearly all seconds (ie ones with slight marks on them) they were basically all F fittings which I presume is the "normal" width fitting. DS absolutely hates trying on shoes with a passion...he is so so good the rest of the time but turns into a devil child in shoe shop and I turn into a raging fish wife soooo not a good combination. DH just reminded me when I phoned him that there is a tiny independent shoe shop in town where we live so might pop up there later and see if they have anything.

Ive also found some Buckle My Shoes ones which look perfect at Barrats on-line...didnt know they did childrens shoes and they are £10 cheaper than the BMS website so might try them as well.

Honestly I knew it was going to be difficult but didn't think it would be this hard...thank you all so much x

TEJQ Thu 02-Jul-09 14:59:40

Norfolklass, its called having a 'high instep' which my DS definitely has too.

norfolklass Thu 02-Jul-09 15:09:04

Ahhh thank you...never knew that it had an "official" name lol!! So startrite ones should hopefully fit then! Honestly Im sure they aren't the only children with wide feet so why do most shoes seem very very narrow?

Fimbo Thu 02-Jul-09 17:00:14

Sorry I didn't even look at your posting name.

Have you thought about the childrens shoe shop in the Royal Arcade in Norwich - they are brilliant. We call it the swinging monkey shop - because they have a monkey in the window that well... swings grin

They sell Elefan, Ricosta etc.

norfolklass Thu 02-Jul-09 17:47:58

Lol!! I don't pay much attention to names either...have no idea why I picked it really Im just useless to thinking of something original!!

Thats fab though I had completely forgetten about that shop...think its called Stompers isn't it? I have spent many minutes with small child watching the monkey going round but have never been in there mainly because up until now Ive been able to get Geox shoes relatively easy and its only now that Im struggling with school shoes...but I actually think they sell Geox as well so might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak! Ouch thats going to be an expensive trip!

I take it you live in norfolk as well then? I actually work in norwich on a saturday but don't tend to head that way with DS very much so is definitely going to be worth a visit. Thanks so much for reminding me of that shop though.

lljkk Thu 02-Jul-09 18:07:49

Stompers (Royal Arcade shop) must be THE most expensive children's shoe shop in Norfolk. I spent £131 in there recently for 3 prs of children's shoes shock. Stompers is very good for High Insteps. I also recommend John Lewis & Drumee Shoes in Taverham.

Phone ahead to all of them to see if they're likely to have right shoes 4 you. StartRite factory shop generally lousy for school shoes or trainers.

3rdnparty Thu 02-Jul-09 23:02:37

my ds has had a pair of Ricosta boot type shoes (£48 ouch ouch ouch ) that have lasted him all (oct til now) winter through the snow/rain on his scooter/bike/tripping over invisible things/football etc etc and still look reasonable and supportive, so would recommend them highly (he has high instep, slim ankles but normal width fronts)and will be looking out for them on my school shoe hunt smile he was a size 9 and we got a size 10...

startrite are deeper than clarks (which are
wide at the heel which is why they often don't fit kids with high insteps too well)but rubbed the top of Ds foot...unless he got a size wider eg G rather than measured F

BMS generally seem good for wider feet... as you can tell have spent more time in child shoe shops than good for me !

blithedance Thu 02-Jul-09 23:41:28

IME Start Rite shoes are really well made and no gimmicky toys/lights etc. My kids have not yet worn a pair out before growing out, but the Next school shoes we bought at Easter are already loose and losing their structure. If you can find start-rite to fit I'm sure they would wear well.

noideawhereIamgoing Thu 02-Jul-09 23:50:38

Also would suggest taking a trip to Taverham Garden Centre/retail village - about 5 miles outside Norwich, to a fantastic shoe shop called Drummies - we travel from London to get our kids fitted there - they are fab, patient and have a huge range of shoes. We do Stompers too but the queues are sometimes unbearable...got to love that monkey though.

goodasgold Thu 02-Jul-09 23:59:30

It's too early for school shoes, wait a couple of weeks and there will be a much bigger selection.

norfolklass Fri 03-Jul-09 08:21:10

Thanks for all the messages-Its nice to see Im not the only one who has struggled to get decent shoes to fit.
Goodasgold-Yep I sort of figured it was a bit early for school shoes but seeing as it took us 2 months (and no thats not an exaggeration lol!) to find any shoes at all that fitted his feet last winter I figured Id better start looking now cause if not he's going to be starting school in plimsolls which I have actually managed to find a pair that fit him (£3.50 from M&S!)!!

Noidea-I didn't realised Taverham Garden Centre had a Drummee's shoe shop in it as well? My parents live in norwich and it seems like they spend half their life at Taverham garden centre so will have to go there as well and have a look.

Have also ordered a brand new pair of BMS shoes ones from E-bay cause were £25 compared to £45 on another website which I can send back if don't fit him. And am going to have another look at the Ricosta ones as well.

Have to say that even if any of the Clarks ones would have fitted him Im not I would have got them anyway...Im sure they are very appealing to children but don't think they really need flashing lights (can see my ds stamping all day to get them to flash lol!) or toys in the heel...surely the insole bit must be really uncomfortable?!!

Anyway thanks so so much for all the replies!

Yep Stompers does seem to do a huge range of shoes but it always has massive queues which is probably good in a way cause at least it shows they are taking care over the fitting.

lljkk Fri 03-Jul-09 14:01:29

I got served immediately when I went into Stomprs on a Saturday noon, recently. Apparently city centre was quiet because of the good weather, everyone gone to the beach!

Weekday better than Saturdays as a rule, tho'.

Fimbo Fri 03-Jul-09 14:05:56

I heart the Chinese lady in Stompers (she's not often there these days) she had a c-section with her son at the same time I had ds.

I going back to buying my dd (11) school shoes from there, as I recently bought her some from Start-rite factory shop and they have practically fallen apart. She has had at least 3 pairs from there since September (all have had things happen to them, like straps falling off etc), I am sure she would still be in a Stompers pair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now