Talk

Advanced search

So what's the big deal about these interactive whiteboards?

(18 Posts)
KerryMumbles Tue 30-Jun-09 19:49:44

Cause alpha mum is all excited that all the classrooms are getting one next year. I've no clue.

Hulababy Tue 30-Jun-09 19:55:18

They allow teachers and children to interact with the board.

It really depends on how they are used.

You can use them as a screen for a laptop - so to show PC based stuff, such as the internet or a document you have prepared, or a PowerPoint presentation. Or you can view videos through them.

or you can use special interactive software that comes with them for writing ont he screen as you would a normal whiteboard, but with added features such as number squares, backgrounds, etc.

You or the pupils can click on the screen with a special ben or their hand to select things or move things on the screen. Good for playing maths or literacy games, etc.

LIZS Tue 30-Jun-09 19:59:27

Basically the hand or pen becomes like a pc mouse so you can click, drag and move the screen around. Can also be used as a regular whiteboard for brainstorming or whole class teaching, to display information , run a presentation, website or dvd just as you might a laptop but without the need for a digital projector.

KerryMumbles Tue 30-Jun-09 20:00:44

ah. sounds great.

yes?

LIZS Tue 30-Jun-09 20:19:30

My only misgiving is that it is an opportunity for some teachers to use dvd's and pre-prepared lesson formats rather than interact and stimulate the class on the day. As a tool I think it is a really good resource.

flatcapandpearls Tue 30-Jun-09 20:21:28

I love mine, could not teach without it now. It is called willy.

Goblinchild Tue 30-Jun-09 20:27:02

>>pre-prepared lesson formats

Where? I want some.
Gimme!

IWBs are a pain in this bright sunlight though, I've had to go back to using my ordinary one in the afternoon.

melissa75 Tue 30-Jun-09 20:31:57

I LOVE my smartboard...and so do the kids...we use it for every lesson...I firmly beleive every class needs to have one! There are such great interactive activities on the computer now, that really motivate the kids!!

flatcapandpearls Tue 30-Jun-09 20:38:47

You can get pre prepared lessons, I sometimes use bits from a lesson. The promethean wesbite has some.

I have blinds so I can use mine in the sun.

Even the naughtiest student will listen so they can have a go.

pyjamababe Tue 30-Jun-09 21:50:56

I agree, IWBs are amazing, would hate to teach without them and think children are seriously missing out if they don't have one. They hold attention, make learning really multi-sensory which is great for dyslexia, allowing you to change text colour/background, record voice-over-text etc. Video clips are brilliant - anyone seen espresso? LOVE IT!
Also, what's wrong with using pre-prepared lessons on occasion? Shouldn't your lessons be pre-prepared anyway? We aren't here to re-invent the wheel every day...

1dilemma Wed 01-Jul-09 00:52:22

Surely any class of children would struggly to keep a straight face when their IWB is called Willy grin

flatcapandpearls Wed 01-Jul-09 17:47:41

It is a private name between myself and a selct group of pupils. it is named after Willie Whitelaw

GingerIgnoramus Wed 01-Jul-09 17:48:51

you are only just GETTING ONE?

blimey.
we have had em for years.
i find them invaluable professionally and also SO much less wasteful than photocopying

mumnosbest Fri 03-Jul-09 15:04:03

They are GREEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jul-09 15:09:17

they're fab. Last summer the PTA bought one each for all classrooms, before then only certain rooms had them and/or there were shared/portable ones.

You can use them for film nights to raise money too. Allegedly.

mrz Fri 03-Jul-09 17:56:35

Having said all that ... the name Interactive White Board is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration.
Only one person at a time can interact and the rest are passive observers... useful tool but they do have obvious limits.
As an ex ICT coordinator I could very easily live without mine. A screen and projector linked to the PC does much the same.

pyjamababe Fri 03-Jul-09 18:44:38

Nowadays you can get little interactive tablets for your class to write/click etc (even vote!!) on that link via infra-red to the board, so they are multi-interactive - ace! I'm head of ICT at my school and the pace at which things move on is so fast it's incredible - surely it is only a matter of time till the children can just hook up to a PC from home and not even bother coming into school!!!joking

mrz Fri 03-Jul-09 18:58:31

You can link the interactive tablets to any wireless projector so you don't really need the IWB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now