Talk

Advanced search

teacher in school mean about daughter

(5 Posts)
lovelymumma Tue 23-Jun-09 16:16:11

my 10 year old daughter came home upset because she was too nervous to enter a talent show she had put her name down for.Her little sister and best friend who are judges on the panel for the contest said the teacher in charge,mrs.A,had told them to cross her name off the list and said the words "she chickened out",I thought maybe she just perhaps didn,t mean to sound mean,but when I asked my daughter what did mrs A say to you when you told her you were too scared to be in the show ,mrs A replied,"well go away then".I know teachers r there to teach,but she should be a little bit kind,surely.My daughter and husband don't think I should speak to the school,because this would cause embarrassment to my shy daughter,but I feel mad that she can get away with being so mean.I'm worried next year my 7 or 8 year old might have her as a teacher.

titchy Tue 23-Jun-09 16:38:21

Doesn't sound exactly mean hmm. Maybe she could've put it a bit more tactfully but she was probably feeliong rather stressed, you know, what with having to do a talent show as well as teach.....

And tbh at 10 your dd really ought to be able to understand someone else's stress and take in her stride a bit.

For goodness sake don't go in - you'll be blowing it up out of all proportion and the school will think you're a loon.

Lulumama Tue 23-Jun-09 16:41:39

don't go into school over something this petty......especially if your daughter told you not to go in

i would not class taht as being 'so mean'

2009 Tue 23-Jun-09 20:48:45

There are "good", "kind" and "less good or less kind" teachers in every school and the chances are that at some point in your dc's school career they will have one of the latter.

If you are viewed as making a meal out of a minor issue you are likely to be labelled a "difficult" or "pushy" parent. That's not necessarily a problem in itself, however, when you end up with one of less good teachers or a real issue does arise, it may affect how the school deals with you.

I have seen this happen in my dc's schools where the way one issue was dealt with was completely different dependent on the parent who raised it. Not right or correct, but it does happen.

JeffVadar Wed 24-Jun-09 08:44:35

Your poor DD, it must have been very hurtful!

However, I would just concentrate on boosting her confidence and helping her to learn to brush off comments like this. Unfortunately it's a skill she will need later in life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now