Advanced search

regret choice of school for dd starting in Year R- too late to change?

(7 Posts)
lucymummy Mon 22-Jun-09 21:46:01

Feeling in a bit of a mess really! We found it really hard to choose a school for DD1 and ended up choosing a school out of catchment though only a mile away. We chose it because on paper, i.e ofsted and standard of website etc is better. There really isn't much between them and I didn't love either of them tbh so got bogged down in the details of ofsteds etc. Although the school dd is going to isn't far away, I'm now wishing I'd picked the more local, catchment school that most of the children in our road go to or will go to soon. The walk to the local school is so much nicer and I think it would be a better lifestyle/ whole family choice iykwim. Does that sound ridiculous? I think the school we chose would suit dd very slightly more but as a whole family, the local one would be better. Has anyone felt like this? Also how likely would we be to get a place at the local school now for September, I'm pretty sure we'd be at the top or very near the top of the waiting list if we went on it.

debs227 Mon 22-Jun-09 22:04:41

Hi, i don't think it's too late to change. I am in a similar situation although opposite. We have gone for the local catchment school, but i'm still not 100% sure if i've done the right thing. I have alot of doubts.

I have been told by some other schools i have looked at, that it is still possible to change your mind even once they start in Sept. I would contact the local school and ask how long the waiting list is.

lucymummy Tue 23-Jun-09 00:11:49

Have you gone on any waiting lists yet? DD is going to meet her teacher next week and I feel terrible about potentially moving her to another school.

middymo Tue 23-Jun-09 11:22:26

It's never too late to change, providing there is a space.

Why don't you ring the Education Dept and School, see if they have any spaces at this other school, and go and have another look around before finally deciding.

throckenholt Tue 23-Jun-09 12:14:05

talk to the head of the school you want to go to - if there is space then you should be able to change.

lucymummy Fri 26-Jun-09 14:01:09

Thank you, I have now put DD on the list and we are apparently 1st on the waiting list. What are the chances of a child dropping out between now and September, has anyone any idea? I would have thought that now they have had their taster sessions, very few would be changing. Have read on here that waiting lists can move quickly but that's probably more the case in London?? We are in North Hampshire.

middymo Fri 26-Jun-09 18:14:36

I think you have got a pretty good chance.

I have heard of children not turning up for school on their first day, as parents have "forgotten" to tell the ed dept/school that they have moved house or decided to go private.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: