Talk

Advanced search

How can you find out what the attendance requirements are for your LEA?

(9 Posts)
Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 17:13:20

Sorry to blether on about this, but I spoke to the HT today about ds1, and she said his attendance is below the required 95% <thunk>

Does anyone manage this? I'm really shocked that she seems to think this warrants a meeting to go through the list and discuss every single absence in order to decide if they can 'help' with his issues. hmm

He's 6 years old, he gets ill sometimes, I'm not sure what I can do about that.

I'm feeling really angry and upset so would appreciate any thoughts

Thanks x

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Mon 22-Jun-09 17:13:56

I thought the "critical level" in most places was 85%, but have nothing to base this on.

Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 17:15:45

Thanks Rita I thought it was 80%. What does it mean by critical - the point at which they notify an EWO?

Jumente Mon 22-Jun-09 17:21:14

Ok I just looked it up - government targets are 95% apparently. But that doesn't mean that we should be in trouble for falling below that - surely?

cory Mon 22-Jun-09 20:39:59

My GP was very scornful about government targets; says it is perfectly normal for a young child to have 13 infections in a year.

95% is too much to expect of many children; a bout of chickenpox in the autumn and a bout of flu and a couple of tummy bugs during the rest of the year and you are already well below your 95%.

I would just see the EWO and gently explain that he has been ill.

That EWO has got her work cut out for her though if she's going to see every child whose attendance falls below 95%.

Jumente Tue 23-Jun-09 06:43:46

Thanks...I think it'd be impossible too. He had flu before Christmas, and that meant two weeks off - he was ill for most of it and post viral for the last three days or so, when I was bedbound and his younger brother had it also. And there was no way I was sending him back for the last three days of term to catch something else, which he would have as he was so weak.

Then Rotavirus in April, and since then a couple of bugs - a bit of d&v and a bad cough with fever. He had about 3 days off with each as per guidelines, ie he was feverish or coughing a LOT (I sent him in some days when I shouldn't have) or it was under 48 hours with the d&v.

I don't think she is seeing everyone who comes below 95%, I think she was using that figure to mitigate her request as it was obvious he wouldn't be above it. I'm fed up with her, and don't intend to take any crap, thanks for the support re what GPs think of targets!

cornsilk Tue 23-Jun-09 06:53:51

Speak to your own GP and ask him to write a letter confirming his illness.

Jumente Tue 23-Jun-09 07:03:34

Yes I might do that if I am asked to - I didn't get notes from the GP as I mainly spoke to them on the phone, to avoid taking ill children to the surgery.

I don't think I even rang them the last couple of times, as it wasn't serious and he was better in a few days.

They must have a record of some of his illnesses though. Thanks Cornsilk.

Jumente Tue 23-Jun-09 07:04:07

Littlebella gave me some good questions to ask on the other thread last week so I will use those I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now