Talk

Advanced search

DS starting school this september but still not been allocated a school

(14 Posts)
Groovychic Mon 22-Jun-09 14:03:16

My ds didn't get any of the 3 school choices. He also is one of many who hasn't yet been allocated a school. We are down on the waiting list for 6 schools. Apart from calling the council regularly, what more should I be doing???

LadyMuck Mon 22-Jun-09 14:06:14

Has the council explained to you what will happen in September? We had this locally and a couple of schools suddenly had to increase their class intake using temporary classrooms.

Groovychic Mon 22-Jun-09 14:22:25

The council has said that my ds will be allocated a school for sept but don't know when even if schools had to use temporary classrooms.

1dilemma Mon 22-Jun-09 22:41:15

I'm glad someone posted this I was thinking about doing the same!
Mainly sparked by someone posting on here that the council had got snappy with them one day and told them it was their responsibility to find a school!

Sorry I have no practical advice, schools here have allready put in extra classes, and their are still LOTS of childrens at dcs nursery with no school to go to.

mrsruffallo Mon 22-Jun-09 22:42:26

Can you find out about schools outside your borough? (If travelling wouldn't be too terrible?)

trickerg Mon 22-Jun-09 22:45:05

Have you seen the other thread about someone keeping a state school place open because she's still waiting to hear from a private school? I bet that makes your blood boil.

EldonAve Mon 22-Jun-09 22:47:25

Things can still move
We have just given up our state school place today

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 22-Jun-09 22:49:39

You're already doing the most constructive thing, which is keeping in touch with the LEA. Are there any more schools which look suitable, where you could join the waiting list?

If things don't seem to be moving, you could ask your councillor to kick butt investigate what plans the LEA has to provide school places for all the children who need them.

1dilemma Mon 22-Jun-09 22:54:11

trickerg I've posted on that thread. It doesn't make my blood boil at all because a) it is her right and b) our best chance of getting a place will be one given up at the last minute, which will presumably be less likely to be taken up by those who allready have acceptable places IYSWIM.
This is the fault of our LA who have failed to deal with an entirely predictable situation.

Mrs R our second closest school is in another borough, it is at the end of our (not very long!) street, I did not want a place there so didn't apply but gather I would not have got one anyway!!

Groovy are you in London?

trickerg Mon 22-Jun-09 23:03:34

I meant, does it make groovychick's blood boil, as she hasn't yet been allocated a place?

1dilemma Mon 22-Jun-09 23:11:22

I realised that it was someone else's thread but I'd allready typed and I'm quite slow hovvered over the delete bit and posted anyway!

We also failed to get a school from our LA as did over 300 others I was trying to post in solidarity and cheer groovy up a bit by pointing out that she is not alone

I'll find somewhere else to post

EldonAve Mon 22-Jun-09 23:13:14

<apols for highjack> 1dilemma - I have emailed you

Groovychic Tue 23-Jun-09 11:42:38

Yes I am in london. I haven't looked into schools outside of my borough. I will look into this as am getting rather desperate although I suspect the majority of good schools already have long waiting lists.

Haven't seen the other thread but if someone knows that their dc is definately going private and still holding a state place then it does make me angry.

There is a high chance that an extra class will be added to one of the 6 schools we are on the waiting list for. I've been told a decision should be made tommorow so hopefully will have an update then.

I know I'm not alone and that 100s of parents are in the same boat but it doesnt take away the fact that I feel like I've failed my child. It's rather upsetting not to mention stressful especially when other parents at nursery are talking about transfer to reception etc

1dilemma Tue 23-Jun-09 11:57:47

Ahh groovy we were talking about this today fingers crossed you get your extra class (one of our local schools added an extra class and as a result I moved from something like 126 to 111 on the waiting list!!)

It's funny I'm not angry about the situaton above but I was angry that people with presumably perfectly acceptable places got to move to the school that added another class because it was higher up their list yet people without schools just got moved 10 places up the list. However I totally understand that they had to do this by the rules it just didn't stop me feeling cross about it.

I'm building up to another call to pupil services to find out where we are on the lists. Might even ask them what they intend to do about all these children without a school place come September!! Although I couldn't cope with being shouted at today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now