Talk

Advanced search

DS1 about to go into mixed Reception/Year 1class - what do you all think?!?

(5 Posts)
Tryharder Sun 21-Jun-09 17:10:55

DS1 is an October baby so along with 5 other reception children will go into a mixed Year1/Reception class in September. Am happy with the school but not sure about the mixed class -but only because he will not be in the same class as his friends from preschool.

Another mum whose child is also going into the Year 1 class has stated that she is unhappy about this - and she is a primary school teacher.

Does anyone have any experience of this with their children? DS1 is quite bright so my first reaction is that it will be good for him as he will be "pulled along" by the older children but the mum with doubts says she thinks they'll end up repeating stuff and will miss out socially and also on play.

Any opinions anyone?

holdingittogether Sun 21-Jun-09 17:28:09

This happened to my ds1. He was put in the next class up with the younger year 1s. They were all less than 6 months older than him but of course a year ahead in terms of school. I was worried he would miss out on the play they do in reception. It was fine. The TA in there was fantastic and the teacher was too. They bought a second sand trough and other bits and bobs for that class room and they had plenty of choosing time. He moved through the next 2 years with those same children and it worked fine. His year group shrunk a little during those years due to various children moving away etc so from year 3 he was in a class with children just from his year. There was a bit of repetition when he went down but nothing that was a problem. He is in the top groups for all subjects and doing really well.

holdingittogether Sun 21-Jun-09 17:30:30

Re friends, I found my children didn't cling to the friends they knew from preschool much at all.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 21-Jun-09 17:32:00

TBH I think you have to just accept it and give it a chance. I am not happy with how my DCs school starts them off but there isn't anything I can do about it.

See how it goes - don't see problems before there are any - you might be pleasantly surprised.

notyourservant Sun 21-Jun-09 21:58:27

This happened to dd. I cried buckets when I found out she wouldn't be with her peers from pre-school. I was so gutted. But it was the best thing that could have happened in the end. Bright dcs will thrive in such circumstances. You'll be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now