Talk

Advanced search

Vote for what you would do...school football team

(5 Posts)
thirtypence Sat 20-Jun-09 09:48:06

Ds is at school in NZ so very much rugby orientated, all the sporty kids play rugby.

Ds is fit as a whippet (can walk miles, cycles etc) - but not team sporty so he is on the football team instead. They are a pretty rubbish team and none of them really want to be there - but the school has a policy that you at least try a team sport for a season.

They have 2 coaches who are excellent.

That's the background. Ds has managed to find some enjoyment in the game and now looks happy to be on the field and even kicks the ball sometimes!

His friend however has refused to even go on the pitch. He cries and holds onto his mum's legs - has invented every medical condition going and has not played for the last 3 sessions. His mum is very stressed about it. He has played games before this and been made player of the day etc.

The coach, the manager of the team and the other parents have all variously tried to jolly him along and get him on - but he isn't having any of it.

If you were his mum would you just call it a day and find something else for him to do on a Saturday, or would you think that it is a blip given that he played earlier in the season?

thirtypence Sat 20-Jun-09 10:20:17

bump

blametheparents Sat 20-Jun-09 10:50:33

Guess as his Mum I would try and find out what is going on.
Have any nasty comments been made by others etc? That sort of thing can be sorted out.

How old is the child?

I think it is important to teach kids not to be quitters, but need to find out what is going on.

katiestar Sat 20-Jun-09 18:48:32

The child obviously has taken a sudden and very strong dislike to it.I really would want to get to the bottom of it and certainly wouldn't force him if there's other sports he likes.

thirtypence Sat 20-Jun-09 21:00:11

boy is 6.5

Other teams make nasty comments about them sometimes. Things like loser etc. They get told to stop and we have talked to our team about ignoring them comments (and not making them back).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now