Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wondered if hand holding for Sept newbies would be nice?

(991 Posts)
treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 16:50:24

Just that really. Like an antenatal thread but for parents of children starting primary in Sept.

We have our taster afternoon in a couple of weeks - it all feels so alien. Haven't felt this out of it since I bought my 1st pack of nappies and got the giggles at the checkout!

TwoSunnyDays Fri 19-Jun-09 17:02:43

I could have done with that last year, I felt very lost! DD was fine tho, it was just me in a worry!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 17:04:34

Lovely idea.

My PLB is starting in September. shocksad

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 17:05:57

Oh God yes - this is mummy hand holding here! DD1 is just excited. I am too, planning a big shopping trip for uniform etc. Possible with grown up fancy cafe stop and so on.

Although I heard from school today that they will be selling it at the open afternoon. I rather wanted a big girly trip out. I guess we can still do shoes and undies etc.

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 19-Jun-09 17:11:17

My DD starts school in Sept - she is an Autumn baby so will be thrown in the deep end and start full days ...

Still debating if buying the uniform now is a good idea (will it still fit?] or if I should just resign myself to the August scrum down ...

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 17:25:08

ooh goodie recruits!

FabBakerGirlIsBack - is plb going to the same primary as the other pb's?

itsjustafleshwound - I kind of want the scrum down. Clearly a first timer! Plus afternoon tea in Betty's smile

Have the afternoon look about in a couple of weeks. They never sent me any information - so I rang today. Apparently they didn 't have my house number [could have rang me?].

Haven't got off to a great start, what with that and them sending application form to wrong address in November. I got told off by woman on phone for not informing them of house move. I forgot blush

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 17:31:56

Yes, he is.

M&S have three for 2 on their uniform for 2-3 more weeks only.

fruitful Fri 19-Jun-09 17:32:47

M&S have school uniform on 3for2, now. I wouldn't wait till August - nothing left by then smile

DS1 starts in Sept; he is already at the school in the nursery class though (mornings only). So he is basically moving to the classroom next door and wearing proper uniform (already wears the school sweatshirt). And doing full days (whoopee!). And he is dc2 out of 3, so he isn't my PFB or my PLB.

But he is still my babyyyyyyyyyy and he is starting school [sob].

fruitful Fri 19-Jun-09 17:33:14

oops, x-posted!

norksinmywaistband Fri 19-Jun-09 17:36:08

Hi,
DD is due to start in september.She is my PFB so all this is new to me.
She will start full days straight off(they all do at this school even the summer children)
She has started her taster sessions - she goes in for an hour and a half every monday morning til the end of term.
And thought I would throw myself in the deep end and took her to the school fete todaysmile

Smithagain Fri 19-Jun-09 17:38:34

Yes please. DD2 starting September. She won't be four till August.

I think she'll be OK, but I do wish people would stop saying things like "oh, isn't she young", "she'll be the baby of the class", "but she doesn't look old enough". Especially when she's in earshot!!!

Yes, she looks young, she's short, she has a baby face and she'll only be four. But she's looking forward to it and as far as she's concerned, she's a big girl, who doesn't need to develop a complex about where she stands in the Reception pecking order before she even gets there! Grrrrrr.

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 17:39:01

So is buying this stuff early the way forward then?
Right! Exciting!

Where is the best then? M&S or what? I don't iron, tumble dry or do much laundry <<wonders what I do do>>

Do I just get 5 of everything?

It's just bonkers that they go to school. Little men and women and little independence. I'm fine till I think of her negotiating the school dinner cue and finding a table etc. Then I well up a bit. Lame.

DD1 HAs no friends her age so she will have a stressfull time of it me thinks.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 17:50:43

Measure the height now - it is all you really need,

I had 5 of everything as it meant one lot of ironing but as the jumpers got more expensive I did ease off though for next year I am going back to 5 as I have 3 kids to clothe in uniform and that is a lot of ironing.

M&S stuff is good.

You can tumble skirts and trousers but I don't put the skirts in and you can get away with not ironing if you need too.

LadyIsabella Fri 19-Jun-09 19:16:34

Hi, I am another with PFB starting school in Sept. Not sure what to expect as we don't have our first meeting till July 1st.

Don't have to worry about uniform as they don't have one - but they do have 'optional' polo shirts, are these a good idea?

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 19:25:13

We go on the 2nd LadyIsabella. Will be interesting!

Dunno about polo shirts, I guess they would be very handy for them when they have to get changed etc. Our school has polo's, shirts, or shirt and tie.

Will have to have one shirt and tie ensemble for sheer cute value. Sure that will last one day as I am always harassed in the morning.

We are going to have to be on time. Every day. Oh Lord. Will need lots of tips!

LadyIsabella Fri 19-Jun-09 19:33:20

I am really sad about the lack of uniform, I think it is a missed photo opportunity on their first day! However, I am an non-iron person so I am also glad about that!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 19:42:10

I would get the optional polo shirts for school. Less upsetting than when they get paint down their lovely blue/pink top.

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 19:45:47

I have a hankering after a pinafore......

I might order some of those woven name labels. Oh I have waited an entire life to order those for my very own real life child.

Am blessed. Sniff

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 19:51:47

Skirts are easier to get off than pinafores..

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 19:56:50

Good point.

She'll be spending a lot of time in tights I guess. I hate that as she has dry skin and eczema to back of knees.

Lady - I thought nearly all schools had uniform. We didn't wear them till middle school. No blazer at dd's, but school crest cardi that buttons right up. Wont get many of those I don't think. Apparently the skirt is to be pleated. Why?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 19-Jun-09 19:58:17

Long socks are easier than tights..

Boco Fri 19-Jun-09 20:00:14

My dd2 is starting school in sept. Feeling quite mixed about it, she's my smallest and not having anymore, so feels like a real end of an era and quite sad, but I'm self employed and REALLY struggle with so little time to work as she's only at nursery a couple of hours a day atm - so on the other hand I can't wait to be able to have a bit more focus on work.

I don't think I'll buy any uniform as she'll just inherit all dd1's grown out of stuff.

bodiddly Fri 19-Jun-09 20:03:34

I have been a bit concerned as hadn't heard from our school at all - I rang today after seeing other people on here mentioning they had been for meetings/settling in sessions. They said there would be a meeting on 7 July mid morning and that a letter would be coming out about it. By the sound of it there will be no settling in sessions and whats more we are away on that day! It all sounds a little late to me ... panic is setting in - I want to avoid the last minute panic buying and sort out childcare but can't! I hate being sooo disorganised. They did say if we were away we could arrange a catch up session with the reception teacher - I doubt she is going to want to do that too soon though!

LtEveDallas Fri 19-Jun-09 20:06:08

Great thread smile.

I'm in panic mode at the moment because DD (PFB) goes to school this Sep but I dont know where yet! We are moving in Aug, there are 3 local schools but the one closest to us is waaaaaay oversubscribed, next closest just a few on the waiting list and the furthest away has spaces but is a church school (and DD hasnt been Christened).

We dont know where the house will be yet either - and prob wont find out till Mid July, so dont even know if she will be walking or being driven to school.

(and to cap it all, all 3 schools has diff uniforms.....we prob wont move in till 30 Aug and all three start on 3 Sep.....I'll be that blue arsed fly rushing to the shops on the 1st then!)

bodiddly Fri 19-Jun-09 20:07:18

can all your dcs dress themselves? Ds can dress and undress himself but if he were to do sports then have to get dressed afterwards his clothes would be inside out and then he would end up looking a right state! Do you know if someone helps them with these things at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now