Talk

Advanced search

home visit from the school anyone know why

(13 Posts)
mum2samandalex Fri 19-Jun-09 14:41:12

ds4 starts primary school in september.Weve had a letter to say hes been accepted from the school and we will have a home visit from his teacher before he starts. My neighbours have said this is the first year it has every happened. Is this so they can assess our homelife etc dont really like the thought of them coming to our home and making judgements.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 19-Jun-09 14:45:25

Our school have always done this. It's not about passing judgement on your home at all, just a chance to meet the parents and child in a relaxed atmosphere and have a chat about starting school. Really, there's nothing sinister and it's a good opportunity to ask any questions you want. When our teachers came they took a photo of DD and then on her first day at school the photos were stuck up over their coatpegs.

drivinmecrazy Fri 19-Jun-09 14:54:06

Quite a new thing at my DDs school too. When DD1 started 4 years ago we didn't have this. My DD2 is a late August baby, so because she will have just turned 4 when she starts her new teacher is also visiting her at her nursery too, so she can have a chat to her key worker. This has made me feel so much better with her starting school 2 weeks after she turns 4sad

snice Fri 19-Jun-09 14:54:57

Is it to check people really live where they say if it is a v.popular school?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 19-Jun-09 14:57:34

Not in our case snice. We are oversubscribed now, but they were doing home visits long before that. It probably is one reason though.

TwoSunnyDays Fri 19-Jun-09 16:53:35

Our home visit wasnt much good as DD hid behind the sofa the whole time.

I think also its so you can talk about any personal worries or problems in private.

bumpybecky Fri 19-Jun-09 16:59:13

our school has done this since before dd1 started in reception (she's now 11). dd3 has her visit this september

the teacher and nursery nurse both come and have a chat. It's apparently so they talk to the child on their own turf where the child is less likely to be shy.

I think it's nice that the teachers get to see the child by themselves and vice versa.

I will be tidying, but not a full scale MIL inspection clean ;)

cat64 Fri 19-Jun-09 17:05:43

Message withdrawn

Mamazon Fri 19-Jun-09 17:06:48

if the parents work then the teacher will visit the child at the childminder/nursary.

DerbyshireMum Fri 19-Jun-09 17:11:53

My DH is a Reception teacher and is just doing these visits at the moment. The first time his school has done them. It is recommended by the government. It is just so the teacher can meet the kids in advance and see if they or the parents have any particular needs or worries. The idea is to visit them in their usual setting, so either pre-school, nursery or at home.

Hulababy Fri 19-Jun-09 17:12:46

DD's school go to visit children in their nursery settings wherever they can, else they consider home visits if nursery/preschool is not an option. We had time for one to one chats with the teachers n the day visits.

mrz Fri 19-Jun-09 17:19:00

Nothing to do with checking up on addresses EYFS asks for parents to contribute by providing information about their child and home visits is one way of sharing information and meeting a child in a place they feel secure.

melissa75 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:58:48

I have also seen homevisits used in order to see how the child interacts with others from a social and behavioural perspective(siblings, parents etc...).

It allows the teacher to also, as others have said, see the child in their home environment, which at their current age, is likely the place they feel the most secure and relaxed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now