Talk

Advanced search

Blue Coat and Hallfield schools in Birmingham - any views?

(15 Posts)
englishpatient Fri 19-Jun-09 13:53:10

Would love to know positive and negative opinions on both these schools from any parents/ex-parents/ex-pupils. Thank you.

frAKKINPannikin Fri 19-Jun-09 13:58:42

I nannied for a little girl who went to Blue - she was very happy, confident and bright. Used to love going to school in the morning! The teachers were always very nice - had time to talk to you and were extremely patient when hiccups in nanny/parent communication happened.

Her mother told me that when she went to the nursery there she was a bit of a whimpering wallflower. I honestly couldn't believe that it was the same girl I knew!

englishpatient Fri 19-Jun-09 14:16:29

Thank you frAKKINPannikin. How long ago was that? Did she stay there right from nursery to end of prep?

frAKKINPannikin Fri 19-Jun-09 15:27:38

I left nearly 2 years ago (2 years next month where does the time go!!). As far as I know she's still there and would be in Year 5 now.

cazzybabs Fri 19-Jun-09 15:34:48

hallfield was (don't know if it is still) very formal - I went for a job there a few years ag0 (4 ish years ago) and they had their year 1s copying off the blackboard.

nappyaddict Fri 19-Jun-09 15:46:00

don't know about Hallfield but my friend's mum teaches at Bluecoat and lots of my friends went there and loved it.

oneofakind Fri 19-Jun-09 17:55:13

my niece won a full scholarship to bluecoat at 8 years old and transferred from her state primary where there were 30 kids in the class. she was also very unconfident but loved reading. They saw the potential and it has been a great environment for her. we were worried about her fitting in as my family are firmly 'working class' but she has many friends who have been very welcoming.
She leaves in a couple of weeks and is going to King Edwards Camp Hill. She was offered a full scholarship for EHS and also a place at KE high but my sis couldnt afford the fees even with a partial bursary. Basically I dont think she would have had a sniff of a chance without her schooling at blue coat. I picked her up once and the facilities were fantastic.
I don't know about Hallfield either I'm afraid. good luck

dilemma456 Sat 20-Jun-09 18:21:41

Message withdrawn

MrKrabs Sat 20-Jun-09 18:28:10

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Sat 20-Jun-09 18:41:48

Message withdrawn

MrKrabs Sat 20-Jun-09 19:25:28

grin

dont say you werent warned.

dilemma456 Sat 20-Jun-09 20:58:09

Message withdrawn

MrKrabs Sun 21-Jun-09 10:32:30

no problem. I as rather alramed to realise you thought I might be serious!
hope today is better

nappyaddict Sun 21-Jun-09 16:01:28

I thought you were talking about EHS and found myself nodding my head in agreement blush

englishpatient Mon 22-Jun-09 12:13:52

Thank you everyone. oneofakind - brilliant to hear about your niece: Blue Coat obviously suited her down to the ground! I was very impressed when I looked round there. We are going to look round Hallfield next week. Thanks for the additional suggestions, dilemma456, I will look into the other coed/boys' schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now