Talk

Advanced search

What is out there to help me save money on Private school Fees?

(24 Posts)
sillyworry Thu 18-Jun-09 09:50:32

We did not expect to be in this position but our ds will be going to private school while we appeal with the council.
I am going to have to work more hours to pay for these fees. I would prefer to save as many pennies as possible to reduce those hours by saving money. I'm already turning up in clean but seen better day clothes. Are there any tips you can pass on? {grin]

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 10:50:02

You should try to avoid any "extras" which yu can easily drift into when you're working - popping into the coffee shop on the way to work, going out for lunch, ending up in the shops at lunchtime and being tempted to buy things. If you can take in your own supplies of coffee and a packed lunch that will help.

And look at your travel options - a season ticket for the train or bus may improve things, or parking further away if you have to pay for nearby parking.

Certainly avoid buying new clothes for work!

sillyworry Thu 18-Jun-09 11:16:28

Thank you for the tips. I did type out a longer post but my Pc went on the blink. I was hoping for any finance schemes that might help us, some inside knowledge (you know, that MP get from each other)
I wear a uniform for work so as long as I don't change post that's okay. Actual, you have made me think. I was looking for a new post out of uniform. Won't do that now. Public transport is paid for by my job. I can't have packed lunch as I can't carry it around with me. Not allowed to shop in my breaks execpt for lunch. I don't drive except on Mondays to take ds to gymnastic. He be at school in September. I use a trolley to do my chores and shopping except, on Saturdays for the main shop. Going on a diet might help on food bills & I can then get into my old nice clothes! smile

Singstar Thu 18-Jun-09 11:20:32

some schools offer bursaries or assisted places where they pay a proportion of the fees - could look into that maybe.

EldonAve Thu 18-Jun-09 11:26:39

You should find out when the 2nd hand school uniform is sold

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 18-Jun-09 11:28:18

use up food in the fridge/plan meals ahead. I have been forcing myuslef to write down the price of what I throw away - shocking! on trips with kids, keep water/drinks /snacks available so you don't have to buy them out...

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 19:52:31

There are often bursary schemes, but they tend to be given more to existing pupils to tide them over and avoid disruption, rather than to help right from the start, as they don't have huge amounts and may not be happy if they think it will be a permanent problem.

Unfortunately, most of the "school fee finance" schemes I've seen are savings schemes where you are meant to start putting the money aside long before you need it, rather than the other way round.

zanzibarmum Thu 18-Jun-09 20:48:17

I hear there are schools where you don't actually have to pay... well you do pay in your taxes etc but it's not like dipping into your purse every term. It is also rumoured that some of these free schools are quite good.... worth a try?

trickerg Thu 18-Jun-09 20:59:45

Errrr..... establishments called state schools.......

trickerg Thu 18-Jun-09 21:01:26

Sorry, missed OP point a bit. Isn't that a bit disruptive? Are there no other schools in the area?

blithedance Thu 18-Jun-09 21:21:57

Are you reasonably in control of your monthly budget - you know where the money goes, you don't have any expenisive phone deals or gas/electric that could be shifted to a cheaper supplier? Once you have done that you can budget tightly for day to day expenses.

There is good advice on budgeting on www.moneysavingexpert.com, as well as loads of tips on "thrifty living".

sillyworry Thu 18-Jun-09 22:48:29

blithedance The honest answer, no. I'm going to have to be a lot more deligent about our finances. Thank you for the website will look at it now.
It is unlikely bursaries will apply to us yet.
zanzibarmum Durrr! I know that. The area in which I live was in the national papers for the lack of school places this year. 200 children will have to be in huts in various schools in our borough as they build temporary classes.
The other issue is that if he doesn't go to the school of DH's choice! We will end up being divorced as apparently its all my fault! Please don't ask....I know we need therapy but that's a whole knew thread.... blush (nothings too good for the working classes that's his stock answer!

sillyworry Thu 18-Jun-09 22:50:31

Thank you everyone. I'm off to bed now to save electricity smile

MollieO Thu 18-Jun-09 23:32:05

I would think long and hard before going down the private school route if you are going to struggle to afford it from the start. The fees don't get cheaper the older dcs get and most scholarships/bursaries are only available from 11 onwards. It will also be disruptive to move ds if he is happy there.

When I was looking at schools I thought about sending my ds to private school for his reception year rather than keeping him at nursery (our LEA doesn't do reception year for summer born dcs) and then transferring him to the local state school if we got a place. Fortunately I gave up on that nutty notion for other reasons before ds started in reception and now I really can't imagine moving him.

If your ds is starting in reception then you will get LEA funding until the term after he turns 5. If you or your dh's employers do the salary sacrifice childcare vouchers then a lot of private schools allow you to use these to pay school fees until 5. Makes a difference the first year and may help you put some money aside for future years.

SomeGuy Thu 18-Jun-09 23:41:36

It sounds like it is a temporary option though.

My sister was withdrawn from a shit comprehensive and sent to a private school for a term until my parents bought a house for us somewhere leafier where we got a place in a decent school. Could my parents afford it? No not really. Did it affect her? No, not in the least, the new school was large and the children were all mixed around in year 2 anyway.

A couple of parents at my son's school withdrew their children as soon as they got a place at the good local state school.

Of course some people do scrimp and save for 15 years to fund the cost, a friend works as a nurse and spends all her money on private schooling. It's achievable with one child.

You can get academic and music bursaries from a very young age, I think year 2 or 3 at my son's school.

EldonAve Fri 19-Jun-09 11:35:35

Why not just take a state school while you appeal? A lot can change between now and Sept as people move out etc

seeker Fri 19-Jun-09 15:11:20

It's not just the fees - it's the uniform, the school trips , the extra curricular activities. You can't do all that by just not buying any new clothes.

Why is going into a temporary classroom such a bad idea?

AMumInScotland Fri 19-Jun-09 15:38:14

What happens if you lose your appeal? I dont know what proportion are successful. If you don't get a place at the only school your DH will accept hmm then what happens next? Will you be able to carry on long-term with the independent school if that happens?

Oh and you will have to give a full term's notice or payment in lieu when you do leave - so if you take a place now, and she leaves a week into the September term, you will still have to pay the fees until Easter.

Oh and I spent 3 of my primary school years in huts - there's nothing terrible about them!

You may be able to tell that I have some doubts about the practicalities here smile. Do you have any other options? Is she compulsory schoolage in September - if not, she does not legally have to be in fulltime education so you could just keep her out for now. If she is, then you could home educate until things are sorted. Obviously either of those has childcare implications, you'd need to have access to family or a childminder to cover while you were at work.

UnquietDad Fri 19-Jun-09 15:40:27

I thought the Local Authority had a duty of care to school your children. Even if it is in huts. I spent First Year Juniors in huts!

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Fri 19-Jun-09 15:52:59

UQD - Is it spelt out anywhere as a statutory duty? I doubt it. There are plenty of local authorities - such as my own - which would be incapable of fulfilling any such duty because the number of school places they provide is smaller than the number of children living in the borough.

UnquietDad Fri 19-Jun-09 16:35:52

I thought it was. maybe I'm wrong.

UnquietDad Fri 19-Jun-09 16:42:02

Thought so - lookee here on CAB website.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Fri 19-Jun-09 17:11:45

Thank you, UQD.

<<Takes up cudgels with local authority>>

whereeverIlaymyhat Fri 19-Jun-09 17:19:01

I have been given a very generous bursary worth over £6900 a year just by picking up the phone and asking so well worth mentioning you didn't plan for this and may consider staying if the terms and school are attractive enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now