Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

tutor for a six year old

(157 Posts)
sprout2 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:22:58

I am looking for a tutor for my six year old son to help with his numeracy, writing and spelling. I have looked for tutors in the past, and have not found them particularly engaging.

I really need someone who will make learning fun, and will in turn build his confidence in the classroom.

I live in Walthamstow, so a tutor living in east or north london would be ideal.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 16-Jun-09 21:24:58

Sorry but should the school not be helping with this if your little one's having problems?

sprout2 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:47:46

if the school was helping, i would not be looking for a tutor.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 16-Jun-09 21:51:54

Maybe it's time to look for another school.
Have you heard about Kumon? These are supposto be very good. They are after school classes rather then a tutor though.

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:55:11

Have you talked to your daughter's teacher? A tutor after school would make your daughter's day very, very long, particularly if she's finding school a bit gruelling as it is.
Why do you think she needs a tutor?

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:55:58

Sorry!!!! His, he.....!!!!

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:09

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:13

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:16

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:27

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:52

I made the point then.... whoops!

sprout2 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:06:49

I don't believe the right tutor, who could engage with my child and make learning fun is the wrong thing do.

If you've ever had child struggle at school, you will know that if YOU don't do something to help them no-one else will.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 16-Jun-09 22:08:41

I have a very bright boy so I'm always having this problem (in a round about way) as school just isn't enough. Do you want to say what the problems are and I'll have a think?

piscesmoon Tue 16-Jun-09 22:19:26

My DS struggled through school but I worked with them. The first step is to start with the teacher and get him an IEP. It is difficult for any tutor to make learning fun after a full day at school.

smartiejake Tue 16-Jun-09 22:27:43

Don't use Kumon- death by worksheet!

If you want something fun and engaging try a local Kip Mcgrath tuition centre. I know loads of kids who use them (including my nephew who was struggling at school ) and they all seem to love it.

Google it and you will probably find one near you.

smartiejake Tue 16-Jun-09 22:30:12

Just found it -look here Kip Mcgrath in Walthamstow

sprout2 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:31:05

I too work with my child every day.

sprout2 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:34:02

Many thanks smartiejake, I will check them out.

trickerg Tue 16-Jun-09 22:34:51

But why do you think he needs a tutor?

piscesmoon Tue 16-Jun-09 22:46:10

Much better IMO to play lots of card games etc let him help cook etc. Read to him. Have fun as a family

ingles2 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:51:28

Sprout, can you tell us what sort of difficulties your son is having?
I used a tutor for my ds2 whilst I was waiting to move him to a different school, he does have some difficulties (dyscalculia mainly) but they are mild... I've got lots of ideas for games if there is something specific you are trying help with.

sprout2 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:59:54

I do play games with my son.

He has problems with numbers, so we play snakes and ladders, card games.

motor skills - we use threading.

spelling - magnetic letters and flash cards.

Memory - We play Kims game, and guess who.

But Ingles 2 - if you can suggest any others, please do so.

seeker Tue 16-Jun-09 23:07:08

What does the school say?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 16-Jun-09 23:07:12

Are these problems specific to him or is the whole school like this? Have you tried talking to his teacher?

ingles2 Tue 16-Jun-09 23:20:04

ok... ,..for board games have a look at some of the orchard toy games there are some great maths based games ds2 really liked the magic cauldron game which is easy maths and pop to the shops.
Do you play Uno? That's a good game for quick number/colour recognition
I made a little shop at home, with some sweets, and empty packets, boxes and started with 1p's adding and subtracting, then going up to the 10 number bonds.
We had a lovely tutor, who concentrated on numberbonds to 10, so 0+10 =10, 1+9=10, 2+8=10 etc. then counting in 2,s 5,s and 10,s
He did improve with her, but tbh, his problem is long term recall, so 15 mins a day is actually more effective than 1 hour a week.
Ds2 is now 8 and is still struggling, but much more confident, our current game is
he is a secret agent, we go to tescos and I give him a "mission", something like finding long yellow fruit,
then he has to go and find out how they cost,
and come back and tell me how much change he will have from a pound... or which is the cheapest breakfast cereal on the shelf, or how many packets of biscuits he can have for £1... Sounds daft, but he loves it.
Are any of those any good?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: