Talk

Advanced search

Helping dc learn to spell

(8 Posts)
Hathor Tue 16-Jun-09 11:50:27

Any ideas for helping dc age 9 to spell? Think a fun website / CD Rom / work book might help - at the moment it is not good at all.
Anyone got any tips on teaching your child to spell without tears!

FernieB Tue 16-Jun-09 12:04:05

How much does your dc read? Kids who read a lot can generally spell very well. I think it's something to do with them getting used to the sight of the words through reading. Apart from that, there are loads of fun workbooks available - I've found these a lot more useful than websites/CD Roms as they involve writing the words out which also helps with spelling.

Hathor Tue 16-Jun-09 12:17:10

That is probably right. He reads hardly at all, and that is another problem! Which workbooks do you recommend?

Hathor Tue 16-Jun-09 12:47:53

bump

FernieB Tue 16-Jun-09 14:25:38

It depends on what kind of things your child likes. A lot of the workbooks are very bright and full of weird characters - this works for some kids but mine have found them very distracting (the pages are just too busy). I've resorted to the Carol Vorderman books which are simple, direct and easy to follow. There are no gimmicks, just straight-forward exercises to do.

I think reading is the key though. One of mine has just really got into reading (I found a series of books she likes) and her spelling has improved 100% in just a few weeks. Can you find any books he likes? Some kids prefer non-fiction.

maverick Tue 16-Jun-09 15:45:04

Have a look at the following spelling page -scroll down and you'll find lots of evidence- based tips:

www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/spelling.htm

For various resources to help with spelling go here:
www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/resources_and_further_3.htm

maverick Tue 16-Jun-09 15:45:40

Have a look at the following spelling page -scroll down and you'll find lots of evidence- based tips:

www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/spelling.htm

For various resources to help with spelling go here:
www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/resources_and_further_3.htm

Hathor Wed 17-Jun-09 12:13:20

Thank you - I will follow up both your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now