Talk

Advanced search

Numeracy homework in Y1

(8 Posts)
sallysparkle Mon 15-Jun-09 16:20:01

Afternoon! DD is in Y1 and is quite happily in the middle of the class, progressing well. Each week they get given a sheet of sums to do at home and then they get tested on them every Monday when they have a time limit of 10mins. If they get them all right they get moved onto the next sheet of sums. If they don't they get the same sheet again. This is where the problem lies as dd has now had the same sheet for 8 weeks running. She is now getting quite stressed by the whole thing and thinks she's 'no good at numeracy'.
When she came out of school today the sheet showed she had got 29/36. Each week its about the same result but different sums are wrong. I guess what I want to know is whether this is reasonable for a child in Y1. It seems to me like a sure fire way to switch them off Maths!
I would have thought that homework was to reinforce the work done in class instead of random sums that have no relevance to anything (if it was learn number facts to 10 or doubles then I could understand the reasoning behind it). Some +, some -, and some with missing numbers. I think its the sheer number of sums and the time limit that stresses her out. Any thoughts welcomed!

ellingwoman Mon 15-Jun-09 17:02:51

If she is getting them right at home without any intervention from you then I would speak to the teacher about moving her on. She might be panicking about this particular sheet and not able to concentrate in the test. If you are still helping her then I would still speak to the teacher, but ask for some strategies to use maybe.

Seems an odd thing to do in year 1 - is this a state school?

VanillaPumpkin Mon 15-Jun-09 17:06:34

shock

In year 1 !!!!!!

I would bin the sheet. Is it a state school? 36 sums tested every week??????? My daughter is year 1 and we get spellings and obviously reading to practice and I think that is plenty. We have very occasional extra worksheets / topic work over holidays but they are very optional.

sallysparkle Mon 15-Jun-09 18:29:05

Yes Vanillapumpkin its a state school. I spoke to the teacher and it seems the objective is quick recall and that its a whole school scheme that continues into the juniors. Ellingwoman she gets the majority right at home occasionally making small mistakes. The time thing pressures her. Without that I think she would be ok.

Hulababy Mon 15-Jun-09 18:37:43

Our Y1s have no homework at all (state infants). other than reading. 36 maths sums is way too much both for the homework and for a est in Y1 IMO.

I would go and speak to the class teacher.

noideawhereIamgoing Mon 15-Jun-09 18:44:16

I think that's an awful way to teach Maths - think at this age kids should be playing Maths games at home, if homework is needed not lists of sums to be memorised.

VanillaPumpkin Mon 15-Jun-09 18:58:42

Oh bless them all. How horrid sad.

My dd is being encouraged to learn to recall number facts like number bonds to 10 and counting up in 2's, 10's and 5's but it is all done as games and whole class work. We are told what they are doing and encouraged to re-enforce the work at home but def no work sheets. Thank goodness.
The most recent maths sheet we had home was an optional game to practice tens and units. It was fun!

I would speak to the teacher as I am sure she would be concerned your poor dd' thinks she is 'no good at numeracy' sad.

Good Luck

(I am not a teacher btw but I am working as a TA albeit with yr6.)

lilac21 Mon 15-Jun-09 22:43:42

sally, I'm head of infants in a state primary and I'm appalled! The very idea of memorising sums is ludicrous, of course she will get some wrong, and so will everyone else. Even the brightest slip up sometimes.

Speak to the class teacher and if you are not satisfied, take it further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now