Talk

Advanced search

DS starting P1 in Scotland, What should he be able to do before he starts?

(23 Posts)
nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 13-Jun-09 00:48:30

Is P1 like reception class?
Is there anything DS1 should be able to do before he starts?

piscesmoon Sat 13-Jun-09 08:04:58

Make sure that he can do all the practical things like get dressed by himself, take himself to the toilet and wash his hands, hang a coat on a peg etc.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 13-Jun-09 08:37:37

Message withdrawn

nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 13-Jun-09 09:23:29

great, thankyou, i can stop worrying.

he can get dressed and undressed, go to the toilet and wash his hands etc

he's very sociable too.

he hasn't shown much interest in literacy/numeracy. recently he's been copying writing of his name. but really only recognises his initial and can read numbers well.

i suspect playtime will be his favourite part.

sleepyeyes Sun 14-Jun-09 22:02:55

Wipe his own bottom, there are many 4/5 year olds who cant do this and his teacher certainly won't.

Dragonbutter it's completely normal for kids that age not to show an interest in reading/writing/maths, pretty much 90% will be at exactly the same pace as your son and most of primary 1 is play based fun and learning with playtime and lunch is a big part of the school experience if he enjoys playing with other kids then he will have a fantastic time.

Rhumba Mon 15-Jun-09 13:27:04

agree with the above. DS teacher actually said she preferred it if they couldn't write name as then she didn't have to get them to re learn correct letter formation etc. having said that I'd say most could write first and second name and recognise and write some numbers. he'd not started wreading but could recognise most letters and write some.

are you relocating?

snice Mon 15-Jun-09 23:24:05

rather than teach writing name/letters I would encourage colouring if your DS is interested as it practises pencil control-learning how to grip a pencil firmly enough to make a good mark and to follow curves and lines.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 15:19:09

yes, relocating from devon.

as it happens he's been practising writing his name at nursery through his own choice this week and it's almost legible now.

i'm not a big fan of pushing numeracy and literacy early. DS1 started at a montessori nursery which was lovely. With school approaching I suppose i'm more concerned with him fitting in. I wouldn't want to find out that all the other kids were reading and he would feel behind.

We've discovered he's quite hard on himself if he can't do things. There's a perfectionist lurking and I'm worried he will feel demoralised if he doesn't keep up.

But as it is, this thread has put my mind at rest. It doesn't sound like he'll be behind.

I was also relying on reception class to teach him stuff and with the change to scottish system i didn't know if he should have done reception type nursery first.

Seona1973 Tue 16-Jun-09 19:51:39

reception is the equivalent to P1 so he wouldnt be behind in any way at all.

FromGirders Tue 16-Jun-09 19:57:45

Ds started P1 last August, and the first thing they did when they went into class was to "sign in", ie write their name on something. They weren't necessarily forming the letters properly, but all made some approximation of their name. I only tell you this (aware that I'm contradicting some others on this thread) because I wouldn't like your dc not to be able to do the first thing he was asked to do in school. They then re-started learning all the numbers and letters from scratch and how to write them properly.
Where are you moving to? You're not military by any chance are you?

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 19:59:59

moving to D&G, not military.

he can copy letters, i'm not sure he can write his name without seeing it written.

Waswondering Tue 16-Jun-09 20:06:57

I would ask the school if there is anything they expect from him. Have you had induction? At our school induction involved the lovely head writing the name onto a sticker, showing the child and asking if she had got it right - kids were lovely and nodded enthusiastically but it didn't go any further than that.

My ds is in P1 atm, and they asked that they could change into PE stuff, and change into indoor shoes and begged that we name everything (particularly black shool shoes - 13 sets of boys shoes in similar sizes are indistinguishable!!).

Other thing is to practice packed lunches so that you know he can open things and my personal bug bear is that they have to bring home everything in their lunchbox, so tell him what to do with eg yog lids, apple cores etc (as I DETEST cleaning out the lunchbox!!)

Good luck!

FromGirders Tue 16-Jun-09 20:07:19

Having said that, I guess all schools are a bit different.
Is reception really equivalent to P1? Can the children read and write full sentences at the end of reception?

FromGirders Tue 16-Jun-09 20:08:53

Sorry, forgot to press post. Asking the school is prob best bet. Different areas can be quite different. Second the thing about packed lunches!

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 20:10:19

We are going to miss any induction sessions as we move north during the holidays.

He already manages his lunch box at nursery.

Will the teacher remind them to go to the loo during the breaks?

Waswondering Tue 16-Jun-09 20:11:49

My school allows them to go to the loo whenever they need at this age!!

Ask school if there are any kids you can meet up with otver the summer too so that he knows people.

Good luck!

FromGirders Tue 16-Jun-09 20:12:43

Our school has two days where the teachers are back before the pupis are - you might be able to go along then. Other than that, spend a week thinking about all your questions, write them down as you go, then send the all in an e-mail to the school.
our kids seem to be able to go to the toilet whenever, and have toilets right next to the classroom. Teachers seem to be pretty realistic about "holding-on" ability!

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 20:14:24

DS doesn't seem to have any problems with the loo at nursery but i don't know whether they remind the kids or if they ask to go.

At home, he waits until he is absolutely desperate then panics. hmm

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 20:16:03

The headteacher has said we can go in the week before. It is a brand new school and the teachers are moving in that week.
We are arranging to meet up with some other children during the holidays who will be in his class.
He will have cousins in the same school too, so that should help.

FromGirders Tue 16-Jun-09 20:18:03

Sounds like you / he'll be fine. I've been amazed how easily / happily mine have started school. It's alomst like the teachers have actually thought it through - bit different from how it was when I was little.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 20:19:27

yes, i am more worried than he is.

somebody slap me. blush

PacificDogwood Tue 16-Jun-09 20:20:21

dragonbutter, our experience of P1 has been brilliant and DS1 had a great year. I am hoping for the same for DS2 this year grin.

I second all the advice re practical skills. Numeracy/literacy really not at all important.
In Ds's school they also "sign in" but this involves placing a symbol (ie tree, car, flower, dog etc etc) onto velco board. They each have their individual sympol for their coat peg, their bottle of drinking water, their seat so this worked really well from the v start.

BTW, DS1 could just about recognize his own name this time of year last year, and would have a stab at writing it, but you'd have needed to be a proud mother to actually recognise it... During the summer he all of a sudden took an interest in letters and number and is now reading fluently and writing his own (v surreal) vampire stories - gosh, I must get off this thread and onto G+T immediately wink.

Good luck with your move! What a change from Devon to Scotland wink.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 16-Jun-09 20:30:08

thankyou.
will be a welcome change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now