Talk

Advanced search

Can you appeal against a primary school place purely because it is a faith school?

(7 Posts)
lechatnoir Thu 11-Jun-09 16:25:52

If you are very anti-religion, can you refuse a place at a school purely because it is a faith school? You hear so much about the criteria for getting into some of these faith schools, but what it you actively do NOT want your child to attend a faith school even thought your nearest/catchment are all faith schools?

So if for example you name 3 non-denominational schools on your application, don't get any a place at any of them & are allocated a place at one of the nearer CofE schools, would appeal based on anti-religion be enough to secure a place at one of the original choices?

Just as you can tick a box for church attendance, can you state aetheist /agnostic preferances anywhere on a schools application formgrin?

LCN

pigswithfludontfly Thu 11-Jun-09 18:36:15

I don't see why you couldn't appeal but there's no box to tick on forms asking for non-religious schools only - great idea for them to add one though!

I'll be interested in other responses as it's a good question.

BetsyBoop Thu 11-Jun-09 19:37:58

our LEA does have a box (or rather boxes) at least last year's form did

You were only allowed one preference of primary school & there was a question

"If this school is unable admit your child would you be prepared to consider"
& boxes covering

RC
CofE
Community controlled school

apostrophe Thu 11-Jun-09 19:40:58

Message withdrawn

zeke Thu 11-Jun-09 20:14:03

On our application forms there was a space to say why, optional, that you wanted your child to go to this particular school. I would state there that it is on religious grounds.
I can see no reason why, if it came to it, that you couldn't appeal.
All states schools (well maybe some odd exceptions) have to, by law, provide Christian teachings though.
In the end I decided that I (an atheist) would simply send him to the best local school, which happened to be C of E. They all seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to talk about supernatural happenings, as fact, to four year olds - bizarre!
I nearly pulled him out of assemblies with the vicar at one point (he came home talking like a preacher!) but we dealt with it at home. There are children of Muslim parents who are withdrawn from assembly though.

potentialJP Thu 11-Jun-09 20:16:10

Try the British Humanist Association's website. They have lots of information on this very topic!

zanzibarmum Thu 11-Jun-09 20:30:32

No. If you don't nominate a oversubscribed religious school you won't be allocated one. You may be allocated an unpopular faith school but there is no appeal process. You simply decline the offer and make alternative arrangements - home education, waiting lists etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now