Talk

Advanced search

Bright and able DS who doesn't enjoy reading!! Anyone suggest any books for him?

(30 Posts)
aznerak Wed 10-Jun-09 22:06:39

Hi there

Our DS is in year 2 and will be 8yrs in December. He is bright and able - he's in the highly able group for both maths and literacy.

I don't agree with forcing children to do things but now he is confidently free reading, he thinks thats it and he doens't need to read any more, mainly because he doesn't overly enjoy it and would rather be doing maths!

I just want to keep him reading (he is quite active and its a good way of getting him to sit down occasionally!) and so I want some books that would grab his attention and get him interested in books a bit.

When I was young, I read some of those Choose Your Own Adventure books where you decide how the story progresses.

Can anyone else remember these? I can't remember what age they are aimed at and I can't seem to find any in Borders/Waterstones etc.

Can anyone suggest anything else? If I do get him to read, he likes non fiction OR adventures!

Thank you

noideawhereIamgoing Wed 10-Jun-09 22:44:18

He's about the right age for Beast Quest.

lilyfire Wed 10-Jun-09 23:33:28

Beast Quest is good and the Book People are doing a set of them I think. Book People also doing the Jack Stalwart books, which DS really likes (boy spy travels round the world).
I used to really like those, 'choose which page to go to' books, although I think I had ones along the lines of 'do you go into the woods with Tim and make out or accept a bowling date with Brad?' when I was about 12.

chaliepud Thu 11-Jun-09 07:21:08

Another vote for Beast Quest! Also Captain Underpants, Spy Dog and Mister Gum

mussyhillmum Thu 11-Jun-09 08:18:55

My DS absolutely loves Captain Underpants. They have even encouraged my writing phobic, maths-loving son to create his own comics! Mister Gum is also a big favourite. Beast Quest is great for boys who like "baddies", etc. If he isn't keen on reading books at the moment, how about Annuals, comics.etc. The deputy head at our school said it doesn't matter if they are reading the Argos catalogue, as long as they are reading! Good luck!

cuppateaplease Thu 11-Jun-09 09:19:25

Third the Captain Underpants series. DS will not read any book that just has writing on the page - it has to have pictures/jokes etc (he is 11 BTW a fluent reader and spends a large amount of time reading each day!)
He loves the Horrible history/ geography /murderous maths type books.
We also have a huge pile of beano comics that he rereads often plus Dennis the Menace books.
Also top gear books, Garfield comic books, Chemistry/physics/biology little books by Simon Basher, Roald Dahl, poems/lymerics esp Spike milligan, joke books, any factual book relating to his interests.......
I know several people recommend Horrid Henry - although DS will not read these as Henry is just too naughty (obviously must be a different naughty to Dennis the Menace!)

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Jun-09 09:25:07

You could also get him non-fiction books about subjects he finds interesting - machinery, cars, whatever he's into. Some boys that age just aren't as interested in stories as they are in how things work, or lists of the tallest, biggest, fastest buildings/machines etc.

littletree Thu 11-Jun-09 10:32:00

Thumbs up for Mr. Gum! DS1 tore through all them at high speed.

mummyrex Thu 11-Jun-09 12:03:10

All my kids hated Cpt Underpants.

I know you said you went to Waterstones but did you ask the staff for advice? The staff at our nearest shop (Windsor) are amazing. I had sought advice and ideas everywhere for my reluctant reader son and Watersones had it cracked it no time. It seems they read EVERYTHING, I descibed my son, what he likes, doesn't like and his nose hasn't been out of a book since. e now begs me to buy the next in the series etc.

Greensleeves Thu 11-Jun-09 12:05:36

My ds1 likes Horrible Science and Horrible History

and he prefers non-fiction books on just about any topic

Greensleeves Thu 11-Jun-09 12:05:52

also Fungus the Bogeyman

Lizzylou Thu 11-Jun-09 12:09:27

OOH, DS1 has some fab Adventure style books,
Here

I got them for his birthday in March and we do one every night (weak smile). He is in Reception and not quite reading independently so he needs my help, but am sure an older boy would love these.

smee Thu 11-Jun-09 14:08:17

Tin Tin's loved here. They have them in our local libraries, or you can pick them up on E-bay cheaply second hand.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 11-Jun-09 15:29:15

I had one of those! And was very puzzled as DH, DS1 and I read constantly. But then he just 'clicked' and started picking up books and reading for pleasure - but not unitl he was 9...(maybe because the rest of the family as reading and so he just fell in with it. He would still rather play on the palystation, buit if that is not on offer he reads quite happily now.)
If I see an ionteresting looking book I buy it ad leave it on a shelf at home, and eventually he picks up and reads it... ASDA and Tesco do very cheap interesting looking 'boy -type' paperbacks

Hulababy Thu 11-Jun-09 18:16:11

Comics and magazines
Instruction books for games he likes
Non fiction books

amicissima Thu 11-Jun-09 18:21:41

Horrid Henry? Joke books (brace yourself to be told ALL the jokes)? The Beano (one read a week and more annoying very funny jokes)?

Doobydoo Fri 12-Jun-09 20:42:02

Roddy Doyle...The Meanwhile Adventures? and he writes ones about a dog called Rover.
There is a great book[to do with Maths]called the Number Devil which Ds1 has read quite a few times.
How about the 2 Steven Hawking wrote with his daughter Lucy? [smile

Doobydoo Fri 12-Jun-09 20:43:31

Series of Unfortunate events
And the Artemis Fowl ones by Eoin Colfer[? spelling]...lots of inventions and technical bits.

blametheparents Fri 12-Jun-09 20:46:27

Beast Quest, my 7 yo son loves these. he was a very reluctant reader but these started him reading and now can't get enought of this series.
Also Jack Stalwart
Spy Dog series is also fab

WolframAlpha Fri 12-Jun-09 20:48:26

get him a beano sub.

+ asterix and obelix also big hit. tin tin.

maria1665 Fri 12-Jun-09 20:48:46

I second the Roddy Doyle suggestion. The way he writes well but is really anarchic - things like 'Chapter three - don't bother reading this cos nothing really happens.'

Are you still reading to him yourself - this is a great way of getting children interested in books that they might think are slightly beyond them. Roddy Doyle would be good for this. Captain Underpants does not work as a read aloud book!

ImissBGT Fri 12-Jun-09 21:21:46

Dinosaur Cove, Magic Treehouse, two excellent series for boys.

morningsun Sat 13-Jun-09 00:41:00

Second read with him ~ I read some of a fairly hard book like Narnia to ds and he reads a page every few pages or until he is fed up and I take over!

serin Sat 13-Jun-09 23:23:33

Mine likes National Geographic kids, and Harry Hill's joke book

mrz Sun 14-Jun-09 08:36:53

My son preferred non fiction and at 7 his favourite reading was the NATO deployment book he got at an airshow...hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now