Advanced search

What is a Reception Class Educator?

(28 Posts)
fridayschild Tue 09-Jun-09 21:20:17

I have a letter about DS2's start in reception in September. They are taking more than 30 children hmm as there is a bit of a shortage of primary places here. Later this month I am invited to meet the team for next year. DS2 and his many many little classmates will have a teacher, a classroom assistant and a reception class educator. I understand the first two, but the third?

thecloudhopper Tue 09-Jun-09 21:26:07

A reception class educator sounds impressive but haven't a clue sorry grin

fridayschild Wed 10-Jun-09 13:36:06

Sounds like someone unqualified to help an over-stretched teacher and TA to me! Bumping hopefully....

DaisymooSteiner Wed 10-Jun-09 13:41:00

Hmm. It sounds as though he/she is not a qualified teacher. Iirc it is a legal requirment that in reception there must be at least 1 qualified teacher per 30 children. You might want to check that the school is complying with the law.

mrz Wed 10-Jun-09 18:02:30

I would ask "awkward" questions when you meet re qualifications ~ if more than 30 children by law there must be 2 QTS.

gladbag Thu 11-Jun-09 09:19:55

Have never heard that lingo before. Obviously not a teacher, or why the need for a strange title?

Agree with others - I would question qualifications, as there should be two teachers for over 30 (although there are various loop holes which they may have wriggled through). Ask!

mrsshackleton Thu 11-Jun-09 09:59:33

Let us know what you find out fridays, I've had the same letter about my dd's reception and am also a bit hmm

robinpud Thu 11-Jun-09 10:04:19

Let me know.. I'm a teacher and have never heard of such a thing! Can only assume it is some halfway house between TA and teacher.

frAKKINPannikin Thu 11-Jun-09 10:11:52

Might be someone with EYPS?

fridayschild Thu 11-Jun-09 13:50:06

I will ask at the meeting on 23 June - unless I get to collar the head at the school fair on Saturday!

Littlefish Thu 11-Jun-09 18:44:28

I agree with Frakkinpannikin - it could well be someone who has EYPS (Early Years Professional Status). It's a degree level qualification in Early Years, but does not carry QTS (qualified teacher status).

Leslaki Thu 11-Jun-09 19:13:22

Could be an HLTA

littlebrownmouse Thu 11-Jun-09 19:22:53

Early years practitioner? Used to be called nursery nurse.

fridayschild Thu 11-Jun-09 19:43:55

In the nursery attached to the school, the nursery nurse has a similar title next year - I think they are going to call her a senior nursery educator. Now the senior nursery educator has had DS2 in her nursery for 5 terms and I have a lot of respect for her. She is a very competent lady who has got OFSTED outstanding for her nursery more than once, and is much better than the teacher who is nominally in charge of the place this year.

Leslaki - what's an HTLA?

mrz Thu 11-Jun-09 19:49:08

Higher Level Teaching Assistant.

fridayschild Thu 11-Jun-09 19:54:51

Thank you. I take it from that, also Not A Teacher.

Leslaki Thu 11-Jun-09 19:58:08

Sorry! Thought I'd typed more ... weird! HLTAs are able to teach in the school they work in and usually do cover. So, no, not a qualified teacher.

mrz Thu 11-Jun-09 19:58:57

no not a teacher the status was intended for very experienced Teaching Assistants who could prove their knowledge and expertise but now seems to be given out to newly trained TAs.

mrz Thu 11-Jun-09 20:00:50

HLTAs aren't technically allowed to "teach" in schools although they are allowed to cover PPA time ...

ellingwoman Thu 11-Jun-09 20:02:18

Yet the training involves planning lessons from what I can gather... hmm

ellingwoman Thu 11-Jun-09 20:05:43

Do you know rookie TAs who are HLTAs then mrz?
The blurb seems to indicate a lot of experience is needed to do the training as well as level 3 NVQ or equivalent level 2 num/lit.

ellingwoman Thu 11-Jun-09 20:06:20

and level 2 num/lit skills

madwomanintheattic Thu 11-Jun-09 20:08:45

all of our HLTAs have been around donkey's and worked v hard for the title tbh - v diff to get on the course round here unless you can prove experience...

mrz Thu 11-Jun-09 20:11:36

There isn't training as such for HLTAs as it is a "status" not a qualification. To become a HLTA Teaching Assistants must prove their ability through an assessment process.
Assessment involves a half-day visit to the school by an assessor.

mrz Thu 11-Jun-09 20:13:16

Yes ellingwoman and if you want to read the TES forum you will see posts from TAs who have less than a years experience who have been granted HLTA status.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: