Talk

Advanced search

HAVE I left it too late to transfer ds to a different primary school in september?

(12 Posts)
mollyroger Sun 07-Jun-09 13:43:44

He is currently in Yr3.
He has had a terrible year of bullying which has resulted in his behaviour deteriorating.(ehich hitherot had been fine). I am totally pissed off by school's lack of action.
his older brother has been let down by the school (he is off to secodary in september) and I have realised I have just had enough! Call it a vote of no confidence if you like.
Anyone done ever this? Have I left it too late in the school year? Might a school consider a january intake?

bigchris Sun 07-Jun-09 13:45:38

it's not too late
my sister changed primary schools for her kids in the summer holidays
she only knew they had got in at the start of the week they went back in September because obviously everyone was on holiday
I think she found out on the Monday and they started on the Wednesday!

LIZS Sun 07-Jun-09 13:46:51

if there are spaces you can move as and when. Ring and ask to visit other schools, foucssing on how they might integrate your ds into established classes to minimise the risk of it being repeated.

mollyroger Sun 07-Jun-09 14:07:31

I haven't actually talked to ds about the possibility of moving. I figured I should se if it were feasible first.

RustyBear Sun 07-Jun-09 14:29:42

I work in a junior school & we often have children starting on the first day of the school year when we had no idea they were coming - the local authority handles all admissions now.
In fact last year we had a child come in to Year 3 half way through June, and this year one transferred just before half term.

Of course you will need to find a school that has room, but if you do there shouldn't be a problem administratively.

dilemma456 Sun 07-Jun-09 17:44:33

Message withdrawn

ellingwoman Sun 07-Jun-09 17:46:09

Providing there are places available you can transfer any time.

mollyroger Sun 07-Jun-09 18:39:52

Presumably I have to let the LEWA know? If I go to the school i have n mind and visit ad they have space, do I have to ask LEA for 'permission'? Or does the school sort that or what? Do I have to give reasons for moving school?

LRB978 Sun 07-Jun-09 18:53:02

Molly

The Friday before they broke up for Easter, I spoke to the headteacher of a different school to that which ds attended. I spoke to her again on the Monday morning, had a show around the Monday afternoon. Wednesday ds went for a look around. Thursday morning he spent with his new class and he started full time after Easter. (Hope that makes sense). So in short it took me a week to move him schools. I had no dealing with the LEA, I dealt directly with the schools. I had to request a transfer form from the old school, fill it in and hand it back, they had to then fill in their parts and send a copy to the new school and a copy to the LEA. (And I was brutally honest, my concluding statement on why I wanted to move him was along the lines of I had lost faith in the school and their ability to teach ds to the best of his ability).

This may be different in other LEA's, but my first port of call would be the school(s) you would like him to go to, they should be able to say if they have any space for your ds, and give you pointers of where to go if not them.

LRB978 Sun 07-Jun-09 18:55:37

Oh, the new school had to receive a copy of the transfer form before he could start. So if not for the holidays it may have taken a couple of days longer, but I saw the form on the desk at the new schol and it was dated the same day I handed it in, so may not have either (and no I didnt see the comments from the headteacher of the old school, would have liked to though).

mollyroger Sun 07-Jun-09 19:23:46

LRB, thank you, that is really helpful!

I just need to check this is not full moon madness, but will be emailing a particular school just down the road fro me tomorrow to see if they have any vacancies...

It's quite humbling to realise when ds1 was 5 I went for a very popular, oversubscribed, highly sought-after school instead of the local, down-at-heel and talked about with cat-bum faces by 'nice' mummies - and made the wrong decision

RustyBear Sun 07-Jun-09 19:44:16

It is different in different authorities - at our school we will show you round, but we're not allowed to say we have a place because the LA might already have offered it to someone else and be waiting for their reply - they don't actually tell us until the place has been accepted, so if the parents went straight to the LA rather than to the school, we wouldn't know anything about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now