Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When people say their dc is really ready to start school what do they actually mean?

(20 Posts)
pigswithfludontfly Thu 04-Jun-09 20:35:02

Just curious really...

nzshar Thu 04-Jun-09 21:03:35

Well I can only speak for myself, my ds started reception in Jan and went to nursery 2 and a half hours a day for the year before hand. Ds was getting to the point of needing to be away from me more than anything. As much as we try as mothers to allow freedom according to age we tend to smother a bit (well I know I did PFB and only child syndrome )School allows independence, choice making etc. Also I have never wanted to "teach" my ds (even though NNEB trained, I want to mother him but his need to read, write and learn in a more formal way was starting to show.
It has also allowed me to move on and not be just mummy anymore. 4 years fulltime was enough

fortyplus Thu 04-Jun-09 21:04:39

That they're fed up to the back teeth with all the 'But WHY?' questions! grin

FAQinglovely Thu 04-Jun-09 21:06:15

For me it meant that my September, and more so my November born DS's were ready for the challenges of school and were itching to get there grin

SoupDragon Thu 04-Jun-09 21:06:42

DD (3.4) is over confident, extremely social, demanding, inquisitive and could start school tomorrow without a backward glance.

BonsoirAnna Thu 04-Jun-09 21:08:21

It means that they could do with the structure of school, with the company of other children, the learning opportunities, the chance to be themselves without carers.

Lilyloo Thu 04-Jun-09 21:08:57

grin fortyplus
for me it's the fact my 4 year old Jan born dd is really testing my patience... wink
I find they get less challenged by the usual activities and want more stimulation.

nkf Thu 04-Jun-09 21:09:19

It means they are ready for something more structured, are able to be comfortable and happy in a larger group. I guess.

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 04-Jun-09 21:10:42

confident and interested in new situations
sociable
desperate to read and write
able to be good humoured at 4pm without a nap
toilet trained!

EachPeachPearMum Thu 04-Jun-09 21:12:00

For me (myself, not my dc) - I could already free-read, and had finished the reading scheme at the school I was going to when I was nursery age. I could also write and do sums, and was getting bored at home with a baby brother whose main interest was eating sand...

Mintyy Thu 04-Jun-09 21:13:04

I said it about my September born DS. He was 5 on the day he started in Reception. I was absolutely sure he would be fine at school: the 6 hour day, the staying for lunch, the big group of friends, the playground, the phonics, the learning to read and write. And he was.

Also, I was very very keen to have a bit more time to myself grin.

mumtoone Thu 04-Jun-09 21:20:13

My ds was 5 in the October after he started school and he was definately ready to go. If nothing else he was fed up with the 3 year olds at nursery not understanding and sticking to rules! He was also reliably toilet trained and ready to start learning to read (knew his phonics and starting to read street signs etc). He's matured since starting school so I definately feel the time was right for him.

pigswithfludontfly Thu 04-Jun-09 21:33:03

That all makes sense. It's just quite a vague statement (note I'm not saying it's bad) so I wondered what people meant by it.

Can very much relate to the idea of the older ones finding the new entrants to nursery who are just turned three a bit 'young'. Ds isn't quite four yet and even I think that.

Think ds will be fine and is ready based on all this. Need to train him up to do buttons and bottom wiping still though!

grin at the mums being ready for their dcs to go to school. I'm looking forward to getting a bit more work done tbh.

bruffin Thu 04-Jun-09 22:01:12

Sept born DD standing at the top of the stairs one evening when she was 4.5 shouting

"I want to start school NOW!

golgi Thu 04-Jun-09 22:28:17

In my case it's possibly more that I'm ready for him to go to let someone else answer the endless questions about things.
He's a Jan birthday. Boy two was born end of August and is due to start pre-school a few days after his third birthday. Not sure he's "ready" - or will be ready for school just after turning four. But we'll see.

MollieO Thu 04-Jun-09 23:05:05

In ds's case ready for a new challenge and new friendships. Had a lot to do with his level of confidence.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 05-Jun-09 00:36:23

I never said it about (Sep born so nearly 5 when he started) ds1.
He was bored of play-school from about 4.5y, but would have been happier staying at home, and would probably have got more out of it as long as I had arranged regular meet-ups with other children.

Most of the people I have actually heard saying it (as opposed to online) mean that THEY are ready not to have the child at home all the time.

cory Fri 05-Jun-09 08:03:00

In dd's case ready to spend more time away from me, make more friends, be more independent and try something new. Didn't have to be formal schooling, something more on the lines of a Scandinavian nursery with lots of outdoor stuff would have done equally well.

RubberDuck Fri 05-Jun-09 08:19:53

Bruffin: that was pretty much my ds2 at 4 grin

I think it happens more often/earlier with a second child, especially if their older sibling is enjoying school. From the age of about 3, ds2 would occasionally leg it into ds1's class when the bell went - not quite sure what he thought would happen, that we wouldn't notice and would let him stay?! wink He has never really liked the feeling that he was missing out.

TrillianAstra Fri 05-Jun-09 08:27:49

I suppos it's the opposite of 'not ready to start school'. My Mum says that I (May birthday) was definitely ready to start at 4-and-a-bit (I even went on the school bus, and she drove behind to check I would be okay ). Whereas my Septmeber-born brother was somehow younger at the same age would not have been ready, and luckily it worked out that he started at age very-nearly-5. So not always a second-child thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now