Talk

Advanced search

DS starting new school tomorrow - wise words needed!

(15 Posts)
MummyDragon Sun 31-May-09 11:39:06

Hello dear, lovely Mumsnetters,

My DS (still not quite 5 years old) is starting at a new school tomorrow - half a term before the end of Year R. (He started school back in September but we have just moved to a new area, hence the school move).

He is being quite sanguine about it; obviously a bit apprehensive about going somewhere new, but I was hoping for a few words of encouragment for ME (!!) - to help me stay strong and positive tomorrow when I take him to the new school, as I think he may well become very wobbly, which means I probably will too ...

Thank you in advance ... (oh, and I don't want this to turn into a debate on whether or not we should have changed schools at this stage in his schooling; it was unavoidable and we have planned it as best as we possibly could, if that isn't a contradiction in terms). smile

ellingwoman Sun 31-May-09 11:44:28

Hopefully the school will buddy him up with another boy for play time and lunch time. Ask if you can go in the classroom and find out where his bag, coat and lunch box goes etc . Be matter of fact, have a good time, see you at 3, that sort of thing. Wave and go
(obviously look back through the window without him seeing if poss!).

You KNOW he will be fine, it's you.... grin

MummyDragon Sun 31-May-09 12:25:23

It IS me!! Thank you so much grin

wools Sun 31-May-09 16:16:18

Hi MummyDragon. YOu and me both. My DS starts a new school tomorrow as well. He is in Year 1 and I am absolutely dreading it. I know he will cry. Like your DS he will be one of the youngest in his class (August birthday). I'm going to follow Ellingwoman's good advice as well. Good luck for tomorrow. smile

blametheparents Sun 31-May-09 16:27:17

As hard as it is, you know that you are the one that has to be upbeat about it. He will then (hopefully) follow you lead. If you look downcast or upset, then he will no doubt copy you.
Good luck, and hard as it might be try and make some friends for him before the summer hols so that he can meet up with some of them during the hols.
Good luck xxx

MummyDragon Sun 31-May-09 16:44:04

Good luck wools - let me know tomorrow how you both get on!

Thanks all for the advice smile

nickschick Sun 31-May-09 16:46:39

Tomorrow will be fine - he will have a great day and come home ready to tell you all about it.

My ds unfortunately had to go to change primary 5 times -due to us moving and dh job.....kids are so resilient - it really didnt do him any harm at all.

sunnydelight Mon 01-Jun-09 02:19:11

It's actually quite a nice time to start at a new school, my DS2 did it for the last half term of Y1 when we were in England. There isn't much pressure to do much except settle in, friends can be made - hopefully locally - before the long school holidays, if the weather is nice and there are grounds people often hang around after school so you'll have a chance to meet some new mums. Think of it as an opportunity for both of you to make new friends, good luck.

MummyDragon Mon 01-Jun-09 13:52:41

Thanks for the advice y'all. DS went in very calmly and determinedly this morning; I was so proud of him! So proud, in fact, that I had a tear in my eye but I made sure he didn't see it. Looking forward to picking him up later to see how he got on ...

wools - how was it for you and DS this morning?

MummyDragon Mon 01-Jun-09 16:36:25

He had a lovely day!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

wools Mon 01-Jun-09 17:29:40

MummyDragon - that's great news. My DS was a little star too. He enjoyed it and doesn't seem to mind at all that he's left all his old friends behind and has to make new ones. I'm so relieved - it's been weighing heavily on me for the last few weeks.

MummyDragon Tue 02-Jun-09 11:38:46

Yep, I feel like that too wools - I feel much lighter now! Glad it went well for your DS too.

SouthernMeerkat Tue 02-Jun-09 12:49:14

I'm so glad I found this thread - we are moving DS1 at the end of this year into Y1 - they wouldn't move him at half term even though there is a place for him now - so it's great to hear the positive stories!

He does know some children, but the school is twice the size compared to his current school so I'm already nervous for him....

MummyDragon Wed 03-Jun-09 11:37:27

He will be absolutely FINE. I was very impressed with the way the school handled the move; they buddied my DS up with someone for the day to show him where the loos were etc and to be with him at playtime. Very impressed. smile

Why won't the school take him at half term?

SouthernMeerkat Wed 03-Jun-09 13:08:09

they don't like to move them this close to the end of term. All of the children at his new school move classes at the beginning of September so I think that they think it's better to muddle them all up together as then no-one will know if he's new anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now