Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for reading books for a 6yr old boy

(17 Posts)
coneflower Sat 30-May-09 16:28:07

My son is on level 7 ORT at school, and at home we have read the complete Jelly and Bean set of books. I am looking for a set of books to read next, to supplement the 2 books he gets a week at school. Can any one give me some suggestions?

Heated Sat 30-May-09 17:13:04

Do you mean chapter books rather than another reading scheme? I don't know much about reading schemes but books my ds likes or I have ordered for him:
Captain Underpants
Enchanted Wood/Magic Faraway Tree
The Twits/Charlie and the Choc Factory
Flat Stanley
Charlottes Web
The Hodgeheg
Clever Polly and the stupid Wolf
Mr Majeika
The Worst Witch

Hoxmama Sat 30-May-09 17:19:33

At this stage, I would let him read to you all the books you previously read to him. (The Gruffalo for example).

Chapter books are probably a few months off yet I'd say.

mrz Sat 30-May-09 18:15:48

I wouldn't recommend buying reading scheme books for home as him which books he would like to read and join the library.

littlebrownmouse Sat 30-May-09 18:26:12

Mine's six and loves
National geographic Kids Comics
Horrid henry
Fantastic Mr. Fox etc
Enid Blyton
any boring animal fact books
children's atlas

Don't get him reading scheme books to rad at home, get him some good quality kids story books, comics, non-fiction, take him to the library.
Reading schemes are a teeny weeny pat of how a child 'becomes a reader' and TBH, once they are fairly fluent they should be chooses thier own books, not just ones from a scheme. Mine reads Ginn at school but it is almost irrelevant to him now, not becasue he's a fabulous reader (although he's not bad, he still has lots to learn) but becasue he likes to read for pleasure and as part of his every day life - instructions, cereal packets etc.
He won't get a broad, balanced reading experienec and learn that reading is for him, not to plesae school/you if he only works through scheme books.

HTH - I'm a literacy co-ordinator!

littlebrownmouse Sat 30-May-09 18:26:51

Sorry about typos! Hope you can read it!

coneflower Sat 30-May-09 20:10:03

Thank you for all your ideas. Jelly and Bean have given him confidence in reading and I guess I am a little wary of giving him books which are too hard! We have read Flat Stanley to him together with a few Enid Blyton, etc. We also go to the library on a regular basis. The National geographic Kids Comics sounds interesting and I will look into that. Thank you.

cazzybabs Sat 30-May-09 20:15:57

There are books called banana books - with three colours yellow, red and blue. They are like reading scheme books but have chapters, exciting pictures and are written by proper authors writing a proper story rather than seeing how many tricky words or phonetic words they can fit in. They sort of bridge the gap between scheme books and "proper" books. Blue is the simplest - they are published by Egmont....I would have thought blue/red would be fine for ORT stage 7. WE get ours from the library or school, but if you put banana books into Amazon - it comes up with some (amongst other books)

cazzybabs Sat 30-May-09 20:17:22

And also DK publishes some nice simple non-fiction reading scheme type but again not really books...

Just be carefully not to put him off reading by giving him books with too many words just yet

merrymonsters Sat 30-May-09 20:18:06

My 6 year old is free reading, but he prefers to read picture books. He just likes the pictures. When I've got him chapter books with black and white pictures he says he likes colour pictures. He loves the Horrid Henry books (the ones with colour pictures).

He also likes National Geographic Kids, but I would have thought it would be too hard for Level 7.

seeker Sat 30-May-09 22:38:05

Read TO him - don't make reading "work". He's doing brilliantly. Just read and read and read to him.

morningsun Sat 30-May-09 22:45:58

One thing that works for my ds,7,is reading a book together/taking in turns like Jeremy Strong or Narnia or shorter ones,with him reading a paragraph or page and me reading a few pages.

FranSanDisco Mon 01-Jun-09 10:02:13

I definitely agree with the posters suggesting reading TO him and letting him do a bit here and there. My ds is 6 yo and a good but reluctant reader. He will join in with books being read to him such as The Twits. This removes the 'work' element and he sees it as fun. He is on the last stage before being made a free-reader so it's working for him.

Mspontipine Mon 01-Jun-09 13:52:54

Me and my ds (6) love Dr Seuss. He has sarted reading chapter books himself - Roald Dahl fan - I bought them he chose to read them himself. I have to keep checking him in bed that he's not reading away into the wee small hours!

Chapter books are fab as you always want to return to find out what happens next.

dancingbear Mon 01-Jun-09 17:04:56

We've just started on Beast Quest - not too badly written and Harry the Centipede is a firm favourite.

coneflower Mon 01-Jun-09 17:21:44

Thank you for your continued suggestions. We picked up the book day Beast Quest/Mr Gum book although haven't yet got around to it.... we do read to him/with him often, he is very keen on Jeremy Strong at the moment.
Seeker, thank you, I find that all the other children with parents on mumsnet are ahead of us and so you do wonder are we behind?
He will pick up some books himself, Dr Seuss is a favourite for that.
I will look into the banana books, I haven't seen them through any of the discounted book sellers, but will keep an eye out.

dancingbear Mon 01-Jun-09 21:37:32

The library is an excellent source of books for children learning to read - and ours has lots of the Banana books, also "I am Reading" and Usborne have really good books for that level.
Orchard crackers/crunchies/seriously silly stories/colours etc.

Would just go to the library and take out as many books as your and his ticket will allow and then let him chose whichever ones he likes - that's what I do - I replenish the stock every couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now