ORT Read At Home books

(14 Posts)
CADS Mon 11-May-09 20:35:30

Hi

I am a little confused DS age 5.3 in YR was previously reading

Ginn New Reading 360 Little Books level 2

and has now come home with

ORT READ AT HOME (3a) The Old Tree Stump

This is much harder than what he was reading before and I can find what stage this book it on the ORT charge or what level it would be on the Ginn New Reading 360.

The communication at DS school is quite poor so I have no idea what he should be trying to achieve in reception or how he is doing in comparison to his peers but he enjoys reading and I don't want him to loss his confidence as he was coping well and now is finding the READ AT HOME book harder.

Thanks and I hope this all makes sense. This is my first experience with primary school so am still learning the ropes.

CADS

CADS Mon 11-May-09 20:36:50

Sorry, typo

I mean

I CAN'T find what stage this book it on the ORT CHART.

Clary Mon 11-May-09 20:44:10

Hello CADS
If yr DS is finding the book a bit hard, I would say so to the teacher. No point putting him off.

For learning purposes, it's suggested that a child should find maybe one word in 20 a bit tricky - asopposed to just sailing through.

I help in an FS2 class and not many of the children are on that level FWIW.

thecloudhopper Mon 11-May-09 20:53:19

I would talk to the teacher the Ginn 360 are very repetative and ORT require the children to recoginse/sound out lots of words to get the story. I am currently working between the two with the child I support. We did Ginn 360 L1 then ORT 1st sentance now we are on Ginn L2 and we will then go on to ORT L2. I have done this as my 1-1 needs an extra boost as there is a big jum between levels in ORT. Most of the children in my class are on ORT L2 in some form with only 2 on L3. Hope that helps. But I would talk to the teahcer.

CADS Mon 11-May-09 21:04:46

Thanks.

After reading 10 Ginn level 2 books I thought ds was ready for something more challenging. I assumed he would bring home Ginn level 3. As thecloudhopper said ginn books are very reperative. He was ok with the READ AT HOME level 2 books but is struggling with level 3. I thought the READ AT HOME would tie in with the ORT chart and bought some stage 1+ but the ones I bought are so much easier than the level 3a READ AT HOME book he has from school.

Bless he really wants to move to level 4 but is thinking that of the Ginn books he has had and because he hasn't had a problem with them in the past thinks he can breeze throught level 3 books but the teacher changed him from Ginn to the ORT READ AT HOME.

He has asked for a star wars light saber for when he gets to level 4. All his idea and I agreed thinking that he has been breezing through the Ginn books, obviously because they are so repetative.

CADS

LunarSea Mon 11-May-09 21:07:19

It doesn't have that particular book onit, burt this list is quite good for comparing book levels from different schemes, and might give you a clue. The Read at Home level 3 would be about the same os the school based ORT level 3 I'd think.

You could also try putting in some text from each here and seeing how the readability results compare.

Hulababy Mon 11-May-09 22:04:20

Does this site shed any light?

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 12-May-09 19:24:59

The read at home levels dont seem to follow the same levels as the standard ORT levels in DS's school. A level 3 read at home is in the same colour banding as level 4 standard ORT - read at home also seem to have more words and pages than the standard ones.

CADS Wed 13-May-09 11:27:30

Thanks again everyone.

I did the readability test, and if I did it correctly, the READ AT HOME book he has is reading ability of 6 years.

I will assume that READ AT HOME level 3 is similar to standard ORT level 4, as HappyMumofOne pointed out. Better send the level 1+ books back.

CADS

sleepingcat Wed 13-May-09 14:29:33

What an excellent chart.
Now to work out why DD has a reading age of 12+, comprehension of 8yrs+ yet is bringing home level 5 ORT! Oh well, she loves the books and reading which is the best thing.

threestars Wed 13-May-09 23:17:54

before ds reached level 3, his teacher warned me that while the difference between level 1 & 2 was marginal, there was quite a big jump between 2 & 3.

ak12 Thu 09-Jul-09 12:08:01

my little girls is 6 and in year 1 she is reading Ginn book level 12 can someone please tell me what the reading age is for this book.
thanx

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 09-Jul-09 12:48:39

Lunarsea - how do I get that link to work?

I have been trying to type in some stuff but nothing happens at all// what am I doing wrong?

southernbelle77 Thu 09-Jul-09 13:57:48

How confusing! Have been looking at the link that Hulababy posted and some of the books that dd reads from school (all on the same colour band) come up as reading age of 6.11 others up to 8.8! Makes no sense! No way her reading age is anywhere near 8.8 (she is only just 5)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now