Talk

Advanced search

calling primary teachers: help with handwriting needed

(24 Posts)
NAB3lovelychildren Wed 07-Jan-09 17:11:36

DS is 7 and struggles with his writing. He writes quickly anyway (and messy) but now he has to do joined up he finds it really difficult for a number of reasons (I am guessing that.) What can I do to make it more fun for him please?

lilolilmanchester Wed 07-Jan-09 21:49:55

bumping for NAB since I suggested she repost this with a new title and still no-one has come along to help - anyone?

Littlefish Wed 07-Jan-09 21:54:24

What are his general fine motor skills like? Can he manipulate small lego/construction etc?

How confident is he about the formation of the individual letters?

Olihan Wed 07-Jan-09 21:59:41

How are his fine motor skills in general? What's his pen control and drawing like? Does he enjoy writing? How does he hold his pencil, does he have a comfortable grip? Just wondering where his issues might lie, really.

There is a fab set of books called Write from the Start which develop pencil control and makes them practice all the different strokes needed for writing without it actually being 'writing practice'. They're sort of pictures and puzzles to do.

I've used a lot with (mainly) dyspraxic boys but it does help the messy writers a lot too.

NAB3lovelychildren Thu 08-Jan-09 07:54:42

Thanks lilololmanchester

He can do lego and I think okay. His teacher asked about his fine motor skills and I asked my MIL who was a teacher and she says he is fine. She did say though that he starts his letters in the wrong place which doesn't help when doing joined up.

He doesn't seem to enjoy writing and whereas his sister is always writing and drawing and colouring (is younger and has better writing).

Littlefish Thu 08-Jan-09 16:44:05

Starting letters in the wrong place is going to slow him up and will also make his work messier as he will end up going over and over letters to get back up to the top.

Have you ever been givcn a handwriting sheet to show you how the letters should be formed?

Is he left or right handed?

Do you/he know the letters which are all grouped together because of the way they are formed:

eg. c, o, a, d, g, q

h, n m, r

etc.

NAB3lovelychildren Thu 08-Jan-09 17:47:24

He is right handed.

We have the sheet and need to look at it again.

I have sent a message to tell the teacher I want to see her and I will talk some more then. Surely he should be allowed to go back to not joined up writing until he can do that right before moving on to joined up writing?

Littlefish Thu 08-Jan-09 18:00:40

Is he Y2?

I've just started teaching Y2 so I'm not entirely sure, but I think there are extra points in the SATS for joining up writing <Littlefish reminds herself to go and find out what on earth she's supposed to be actually doing!>.

NAB3lovelychildren Thu 08-Jan-09 18:04:49

He is year 3 and I couldn't give a toss about points tbh. He hates writing as he is made to do something he can't do and I can't see why he can't just get normal writing right and be happy with it, than rushing onto the next stage that he can't do for the sake of points.

Littlefish Thu 08-Jan-09 18:23:30

I completely agree with you NAB. Until he's got the basics right, he won't be able to join up effectively, so he should be working on basic formation first.

The trouble is that he probably hates writing because he finds it hard, but he finds it hard because he's not sure about the formation etc. etc. etc. At some point, he's going to have to do some extra work on the formation which he isn't going to like, I'm afraid. smile

NAB3lovelychildren Thu 08-Jan-09 18:27:15

Dh and I are willing to put the work in but we need to know what to do and also need the teacher to agree and support us and him.

ELR Fri 09-Jan-09 10:19:11

just noticed this thread dd is struggling with this, she is in y1
in reception she did block writing now we have changed schools and they only do joined up and expect her to do it too she is really struggling with starting the letters in the right place

littlefish--- would you mind posting which letters are grouped together as you did in your earlier post

eg. c, o, a, d, g, q

h, n m, r

etc. What are the rest, this would be helpfull

Littlefish Sat 10-Jan-09 08:45:27

Of course I will ELR - it depends slightly on whether the school does full cursive script from the start (ie, with full entry and exit joins), but I'll have a think later today and scribble down the groups.

Buda Sat 10-Jan-09 09:01:08

Hi NAB. My DS is also 7 and in Year 3 and we were struggling with his writing last year. He wasn't holding the pencil correctly for a start. I had him assessed by school OT and she said he was like 90% of boys she works with and was essentially writing from the shoulders. His fine motor skills needed work and his right and left co-ordination. We are lucky to have this resource so now this year DS is working with her twice a week - although we do pay for it.

Some of the things she has him doing are yoga, skipping, squeezing a soft ball in each hand to strengthen the muscles. He is not here at the moment but I will ask him what other stuff he does.

It does seem to have made a difference.

There is also a pencil you can get that helps - i saw it linked to on here once - will have a look and link to it for you.

The Write From the Start programme is supposed to be good too. I bought the books but we didn't use it as I realised he wasn't even holding the pen properly so wanted to get that right first.

Buda Sat 10-Jan-09 09:16:12

NAB this is the pen. Available at WH Smiths etc.

NAB3lovelychildren Sat 10-Jan-09 09:56:42

Just seen these. Thanks all.
Have printed off about the pen as going shopping once Dh is home.
He has to use a pencil at school but he can use the pen at home.
Still haven't had chance to speak to the teacher.
Will put a note on in Tuesday if I don't see her on Monday.

NAB3lovelychildren Sat 10-Jan-09 09:57:05

What is an OT?

Buda Sat 10-Jan-09 10:11:32

NAP - they come in pencil and pens I think.

OT - Occupational Therapist.

wenceslasmyeducation Sat 10-Jan-09 10:20:22

Would that pen be suitable be suitable for an adult? blush

NAB3lovelychildren Sat 10-Jan-09 15:40:54

Have got the pen but the staff member didn't think they came in pencils. I will look on line again.
Thank you.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 10-Jan-09 21:21:11

This old thread has some suggestions on it for handwriting.

here

Hope they are of some help. Tis still an issue for ds sad

NAB3lovelychildren Sat 10-Jan-09 21:25:18

Thank you. I will look later when I can ficus properly {hic}

wenceslasmyeducation Sat 10-Jan-09 21:37:48

Obviously it doesn't have to be that suitable. blush

ELR Sun 11-Jan-09 08:26:08

littlefish--- they do start on the line finish on the line accept for x they seem to join up all letters i think but not quite the way i was taught at school!! dd was quite good at writing quite small and straight now she is all over the place and quite big going from block to cursive has really put her back

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: