Talk

Advanced search

Early literacy support program, any teachers?

(8 Posts)
Martha200 Sat 08-Nov-08 08:23:39

Ds is one of six children in the class about to start this in year 1, I think I should have a word with the teacher about their selection process, but does this mean he is basically a slow learner? I am surprised as I thought from parents evening things were ok. Yes, I am pleased he will get the half an hour daily for 12 wks support as they think he needs it, but wonder what message his peers are getting?

Anyone any experience of ELS and is it useful?

kaytola Sat 08-Nov-08 08:55:33

Hello! I do ELS every year with six children and you really have nothing to worry about. It doesn't mean he is a slow learner - it means that he would really benefit from the extra help that ELS provides.

Children chosen to participate in the scheme are 'middle-grounders', ie children who are doing well but who with an extra boost could do really well. It is not a programme for low ability children as the pace is too fast and it relies on a lot of knowledge that the children already have, as opposed to them learning things from scratch.

So please don't worry and there is really no need to have a word with his teacher. they have picked him as they know he will 'come-on' during this programme. He will get homework through doing it though so just be as supportive as you can! And find out exactly what a phoneme is! grin

Hope this helps.

mumto2andnomore Sat 08-Nov-08 09:43:34

I agree , its not for the lowest ability children so dont worry. At that age children are being taken out in groups for all sorts of things so dont worry that his friends will mock him, usually they are jealous that they are not taking part !

Martha200 Sat 08-Nov-08 10:39:50

Thank you for your replies

I think I am remembering my school days too much and started to feel stressy as my parents and teacher at one point in primary school used to argue about what support I should or should not have and so I used to move around the tables of ability rather a lot! I know times and attitudes have moved on, but it really helps to have an insight into the scheme, thank you

Stockton Wed 14-Oct-09 22:03:34

Hi! We have just received a letter asking us for permission for our child to be putforward for the ELS. I feel that I have failed as a parent, and worry that my child will feel isolated. Children soon pick up on the fact that the same children are having special attention in the class, and I am very concerned this will knock her confidence. My child always complains that she hates school, hates reading and that she "can't do it". I feel she doesn't have the attention or the want to learn, therefore how will this scheeme turn things sround for her? The homework she gets at present takes much longer than recommended due to her lack of interest, and I feel that she will never get to where she needs to be.I am happy to spend time and help her, but I am becoming frustrated, as how do I help someone who doesn't want to learn? HELP!!! sad

jennifersofia Wed 14-Oct-09 23:30:01

Former Y1 teacher here, fully back what Kaytola has said about ELS. It is a great programme and your child is lucky to be on it. Children can make great progress and it gives them a real boost up. I have never had anyone teased for doing ELS.

Soups Thu 15-Oct-09 10:19:13

My son was taken out in Year3, I think it was this they did
http://www.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/getfile.php?src=1652/pnsnls094504y3lsintro.pdf
It was all about Sir Kit and going on Quests. He loved it grin and didn't feel embarrassed, some of the class seemed to be jealous!

He started with perfectly good reading abilities, really not bad for his age. However, completely unwilling to write anything on paper, with terrible spelling! I'd go in to parents evenings and see his few scrawlings & you couldn't help but compare it to the pages of neat writing from other children ;)

I'd talk to teachers and they say that he had very good general knowledge, inquisitive, verbally great, strong verbal reasoning. Yet often in the middle & lower sets.

By the end of it, his reading age was years above. More importantly writing came much more easily to him smile OK in Year 4 his spelling is still not very good, his handwriting much to be desired. He's now got the skills to actually think, then get ideas down on paper.

Can you tell that I think it was a good thing? grin

Madsometimes Thu 15-Oct-09 12:46:11

When dd1 was chosen for ELS in year 1 I also felt a little upset. However, I soon realised that it really is for children in the middle of the ability range.

I think that ELS is great now. It is unusual for a program to be developed for children that are neither G&T or struggling. I do think that teachers need to explain about ELS when they approach parents though. Most of us assume that their children have a specific learning difficulty when they are given additional help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now