Talk

Advanced search

Untitled

(5 Posts)
mumof2monsters Sat 01-Nov-08 20:37:43

My 5 year old DD started school in September and seems to be liking it. However, we have had some problems in the last month or so. She gets hysterical if you leave her anywhere. If I leave her at a party, If I leave her in the car when I pay for petrol (locked with her brother also in there and I can see them the whole time). Today she got hysterical because I went into the garage at the side of the house.
She is following my hubby and I around the house and is by my side the whole time.
I am not sure what to do as it is driving DH mad. Has anyone else experienced this?
Could it be because she has started school?

MollieO Sat 01-Nov-08 21:54:20

I can't comment on the behaviour aspect unforunately but I would be very wary of leaving children in a locked car at a petrol station (or anywhere else for that matter).

When my ds was newborn I went to the local postnatel class at our hospital. We had talks from different people each week and one week it was from the police. They told a horrific story about a local mother leaving her child in the car whilst she went to pay for petrol. The car combusted and the child was killed. Even though it was a real pain when my ds was small I never left him alone in the car.

nell12 Sat 01-Nov-08 22:01:12

Hi mumof2. It sounds as if dd has separation anxiety big time. How is she when you leave her at school?

I think this is very probably linked to her starting school; she has done 6 weeks of leaving you and that is enough, thank you very much smile

I would just reassure her as much as possible, but still leave her for short periods (do not worry about sombusting cars in petrol stations hmm) Just warn her beforehand;
"Mummy is going upstairs to put the washing away, I will be back in 2 minutes. can you finish your drawing down here like a good girl and I will help you when I get downstairs"

If you tell her where and for how long you are going, and reassure her that you will be back, hopefully in time she will be more settled and less anxious.

mumof2monsters Sat 01-Nov-08 22:23:48

Thanks nell12 for your very helful comments. I agree with you that it is probably separation anxiety and I will try what you say and see if it works.
Thanks for your helpnell12 {smile}

nell12 Sun 02-Nov-08 10:12:15

No problem at all. Best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now