Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ds is in recption is he behind

(15 Posts)
snottynoses Sun 26-Oct-08 21:07:53

he can count accurately up to 20. Read 45 key words. can not sound out yet. Writes his name on his own but still prefers overwriting other letters

LynetteScavo Sun 26-Oct-08 21:09:21

Certainly not behind.

snottynoses Sun 26-Oct-08 21:10:25

I worry as he is an August Birthday and other children seem so much more capable

Reallytired Sun 26-Oct-08 21:12:32

????

He has only been at school half a term. Don't worry about him being able to write his name. As for the phonics, I would practice with him a little bit every day. Make sure he knows his letter sounds really well. As for blending, model it to him. Ie. say the letter sounds fairly quickly, you need to say the first letter sound quite loudly and then whispher the others.

We made practicing word boxes a bit more interesting by making a letter box. If my son got the word right then he got to post the word.

Has your son's teacher spoken to you? Why are you worrying. Its still early days. Provided that you practice with him it will come.

nell12 Sun 26-Oct-08 21:14:30

He may not be emotionally as advanced as other children in his class, but you must remember that the oldest ones in the class will be a quarter of ds' life older than him.

The others will naturally be better at expressing themselves etc than your ds, but that is all. I suspect that the others in ds' class are on a parr academically.

Try not to worry; Reception is about experiences and learning how to mix with others and play

LynetteScavo Sun 26-Oct-08 21:15:54

Did you teach him the key words, or did he learn them at school?

DS hadn't even started to learn any key words at this stage in reception.

Reallytired Sun 26-Oct-08 21:16:18

It will even itself out by the end of primary school.

Niecie Sun 26-Oct-08 21:16:34

No they aren't more capable. DS2 can't do any of those things (well he can possibly count up to 20), started in Sept and was also 5 in September.

I am not worried, it isn't a race.

He can't sound out yet as he has been taught how to. Ditto writing his own name. He isn't interested so I haven't made him and hope the teachers have more luck and strategies than I have.

He will get there. It is very early days.

Just to put your mind at rest, DS1, July baby, had 27 key words at the end of Yr R but by the Easter of Yr 1 he had over 400. When it clicks it clicks, when it doesn't it will be a struggle.

Plonker Sun 26-Oct-08 21:17:02

There is a really simple solution to your problem snottynoses ...

... don't compare wink

Seriously though, your son doesn't sound as though he's behind to me. How has he settled in school? Is he managing the school routine? Can he dress/undress himself after PE? Is he making friends? These are the things that count IM humble O.

Mention if at parents evening if your really worried, but he sounds like he's doing great smile

snottynoses Sun 26-Oct-08 21:17:16

A bit of both school provided them and they learnt them at home and at school

notnowbernard Sun 26-Oct-08 21:18:20

DD1 (reception) hasn't even started on key words yet

Spends most of the day drawing and painting judging by the contents of her book bag smile

beansontoast Sun 26-Oct-08 21:19:26

sounds like good reading...45 words in half a term is good going surely?

notsofarnow Sun 26-Oct-08 21:37:30

Can't believe he can read that many words my dd is in yr 1 and probably can read no more than 15 words but we are on the learning through play thingy in wales where they do not sit and do work but learn through their play experiences - no pressure,doing what children of this age should be doing - playing. ds in reception is only doing letters not words - they learn one letter a week again through play ie songs, making a giant octopus in the middle of hte room for the letter O and lots of other related activities. So no not behind at all.

misselizabethbennet Sun 26-Oct-08 22:07:42

Not behind. Sounds as if he's doing very well. My DS is a summer birthday and was not at this level at first half term in reception. He is now 6 and a fabulous reader btw.

I don't think it's important what he can do right now - more important that he is settling into school life and enjoying the experience.

Out of interest, how do you know that other children are doing better?

slim22 Sun 26-Oct-08 22:12:35

says who?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now