Talk

Advanced search

ds (9) homework to produce a project on greeek temples - YAWN! any ideas how to make it interesting for us? please?

(6 Posts)
BBBeeast Sun 26-Oct-08 12:20:29

I am usually okay at homework and making it fun and exciting but I opened this and am just bored thinking about it.

I know there are some creative minds here - can you make it fun in any way?

TeenyTinyTorya Sun 26-Oct-08 12:33:03

Greek temples are interesting - I did Classical Civilisation at A-Level though, so biased. grin

The temples were used to house the statues of the gods, so you could find out about the different gods and what they represented - for example Athena and Zeus. There's lots of architecture inside the temples, you'd get great pictures on the internet of the statues and friezes, which were often battle scenes or told stories. The temple of Zeus at Olympia has a tableau of the twelve labours of Hercules. He could investigate these stories as well and the history behind the architecture.

Another thing your ds could do it to look at the way the temples were built, and maybe make a mini model himself. You could find out about how such huge structures were made at a time when there was obviously no big machinery - what did they use instead?

You could also look at the use of the temples. Sacrifices tended to take place outside the temple rather than inside, and there were parts of a temple where only priests could enter.

There are loads of good kids books on the subject, have a look in your local library and try this site

HTH.

BBBeeast Sun 26-Oct-08 12:34:07

thank you - yes i know it is interesting i think the problem is me rather than the topic - i am a bit mojo'ed out!

dilemma456 Sun 26-Oct-08 16:01:55

Message withdrawn

SqueakyPop Sun 26-Oct-08 16:45:48

Make a model?

BBBeeast Sun 26-Oct-08 16:54:48

thank you - the healing thing sounds wonderful - he will love that - he also likes the sound of the sacrifice thing.

wonderful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now