Talk

Advanced search

aibu to be annoyed at dc school?

(21 Posts)
stitch Thu 23-Oct-08 08:12:30

it seems at the moment that i am constantly finding thngs to be seriously annoyed at dc school. so this may be a rant, and i will be happy to be told to get a life, andstop moaning about things.

the latest is this. dd is being kept on stage two reading, because the classroom does not have enough phonic based stage 3 or stage 4 books. shock and until the order comes through, she will be kept htere.
meanwhile at home, she is doing literacy work from the whsmith workbooks that is year two. she is at the beginning of year one. and, no she is nto being hothoused. if anything, i keep her back, because i dont want her racing ahead of her year 3 brother, as would be terrible for his self confidence.
the school has these books in the sencos room. but dd isnt allowed to access them.
so, aibu to be annoyed at school?

Elasticwoman Thu 23-Oct-08 08:46:13

Keeping your dd back because of lack of books is crazy. They should give her worksheets rather than keep her on a book she has finished and you should keep complaining until they do something just to shut you up.

Do not apologise for your attitude - your dd is just at the stage of high enthusiasm for learning and you are right to encourage.

Personally I think phonics stink - look at www.realspelling.com which contends that spelling is much more related to meaning than sound.

smartiejake Thu 23-Oct-08 09:46:20

Sod the school. Take her to the library and find something to keep her going from the young reader section.

stitch Thu 23-Oct-08 11:12:34

yes, we do read at home. with two older brothers, and a mom who will happily spend spend spend on books, we have a vast library. smile she does read these.

myermay Thu 23-Oct-08 11:16:14

this would also really annoy me too . I would keep nagging the school & get some books of her level at home, so at least she is doing what you know she is capable of. How old is she?

myermay Thu 23-Oct-08 11:18:04

Sorry just reread and i see she's year 1, so 5-6 years old. Have you got the jelly and bean books - i found these fab and def think that's why my son has progressed so well wiht reading, also ruth miskin?

stitch Thu 23-Oct-08 11:25:47

no, but i shall do a search for them
she is 5. currently at level 1c/b. which is what they are expected to reach at the end of year one.

imaginaryfriend Thu 23-Oct-08 12:40:23

What kind of books are in stage two reading at your dd's school? I'm slightly confused about this stage thing as I think dd's school must do things differently.

stitch Fri 24-Oct-08 13:45:32

a lot of chip and kipper books, going of to the shops etc.
the propblem is that she can sequences and predict, and isnow getting lazy about sounding out the owrds, and will simply gues sthem. only when i make her go back and sound them out will she do them.
i am taking the advice of frineds andmumsnetters and just doing lots of other reading at home. she loves it. but, if this keeps up, she will be on stage five or so by the time the books come. sad

lulumama Fri 24-Oct-08 13:53:40

i don;t know why parents get so hung up on the stages of the books.. if your daughter cna read well, enjoys reading and reads a lot at home with challenging books, i don;t thikn it is taht important that she is not going up a stage at the mo. if it is only to do with waiting for an order, surely she will go up a stage when they arrive?

Blu Fri 24-Oct-08 13:56:38

Since she is reading lots of books at her true level at home, i wouldn't worry.
It's not great that the school doesn't have the - but it doesn't seem to be affecteong you dd.

especially as you say you don't actually want her to race ahead!!

lljkk Fri 24-Oct-08 13:58:05

But exactly how long is it going to be for school to get the right books -- is the wait that unbearable? And won't a bright child race ahead anyway, as soon as they arrive? How is it harming Stitch's DD to tread water (reading wise) for a few weeks?

I got DD public library books as soon as she was able to read any of them.

imaginaryfriend Fri 24-Oct-08 15:21:13

Personally I would find that situation really annoying and unnacceptable. I was thinking you must mean some complex system, not just the levels of the readers themselves. Dd's Reception class had access to readers up to level 10. She's in Y1 too now and there's a huge range of books and reading abilities in her class.

I'd complain definitely. Only don't mention nuts grin wink

imaginaryfriend Fri 24-Oct-08 15:23:30

I understand why this bothers stitch. My dd's school only change her reading books once a week and although we do read lots of other things at home it would feel good to be having her reading ability assessed by a professional (her teacher) each week and to know you're on track / choosing the right level books at home etc. Otherwise what's the actual point for any children of reading at school?!

stitch Fri 24-Oct-08 18:33:47

IF, lol, really out loud. grin
no, i wont mention nuts {grin] learnt my lesson on that.

it wont harm my dd, but it is annoying, considering how much money this school has. its financial resources etc. etc etc.

stitch Fri 24-Oct-08 18:34:11

state school btw

imaginaryfriend Fri 24-Oct-08 21:30:20

dd's is a state school too. In a pretty deprived part of SE London. This sounds like a school that must be really struggling though if they don't have level 4 + books in Y1? Dd is no genius but she finished level 4 books a long while ago in Reception. So did quite a few others.

imaginaryfriend Fri 24-Oct-08 21:30:41

(glad I made you laugh by the way smile)

stitch Sat 25-Oct-08 00:23:52

IF i meant, they have masses and masses of reosurces. relatively speaking si an affluent area. very active pta. vast sums raised with various fundraising activites. for example, they ahve a swimming pool paid for by the pta. shock interactive white boards in every classroom paid for by the pta. etc etc

blueskyandsunshine Sat 25-Oct-08 00:32:43

That's a bit annoying, why can't they group all the books together in the infant library so that Y1s can just keep going, with the natural progression and confidence that gives.

Being kept back at school and progressing only at home is not ideal, but if you cannot change this I would not have a battle about it.

blueskyandsunshine Sat 25-Oct-08 00:34:43

Can't remember that much about ORT stages except that at DS1 (state) school Stage 10 at the end of Y1 was above average but not exceptional. So those books should be available to Y1s I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now